Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello everyone. My Big Boy who is almost 12 years old hasn't been doing well. He started to have labored breathing. Ate a little but has stopped now and is having problems staying upright. Is there anything I can do for him?

20240726_091509.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I remember seeing Big Boy years ago on another forum, and it was a nice surprise to see him pop up here on MFK so much later.

I'm not squeamish about euthanising fish and other animals which seem to be suffering and have no hope of recovery...but I'm not entirely sure that is the case here. Twelve years is an impressive lifespan for a tank-raised Oscar, absolutely, but I think that's mostly because the vast majority of keepers kill their fish off prematurely. I wonder if it is really near the maximum lifespan that this fish could be expected to live. You've obviously taken excellent care of him...certainly can't see any of the all-too-common HITH disease, at least not in that pic.

I'm the worst person to ask for advice regarding fish medication, but we have lots of folks here who are well-versed in the use of medicines. It seems that I have read a lot about using epsom salts to treat some types of swim bladder malfunctions, and I'm sure that there are other things worth trying as well. I think it's too early to give up on the big guy.

kno4te kno4te RD. RD. wednesday13 wednesday13 D dogofwar thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter are a few that leap to mind who might be of assistance, or who might point the way towards others. Good luck!

DawnMichele

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I remember seeing Big Boy years ago on another forum, and it was a nice surprise to see him pop up here on MFK so much later.

I'm not squeamish about euthanising fish and other animals which seem to be suffering and have no hope of recovery...but I'm not entirely sure that is the case here. Twelve years is an impressive lifespan for a tank-raised Oscar, absolutely, but I think that's mostly because the vast majority of keepers kill their fish off prematurely. I wonder if it is really near the maximum lifespan that this fish could be expected to live. You've obviously taken excellent care of him...certainly can't see any of the all-too-common HITH disease, at least not in that pic.

I'm the worst person to ask for advice regarding fish medication, but we have lots of folks here who are well-versed in the use of medicines. It seems that I have read a lot about using epsom salts to treat some types of swim bladder malfunctions, and I'm sure that there are other things worth trying as well. I think it's too early to give up on the big guy.

kno4te kno4te RD. RD. wednesday13 wednesday13 D dogofwar thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter are a few that leap to mind who might be of assistance, or who might point the way towards others. Good luck!
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Eye looks a bit swollen too. I’d try and lower the water level so it can stay upright. I’d dose some epsom salt 3tbsp per 5g and kanamycin.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Low enough that the fish can stay upright.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store