Biggest tank in a mobile home?

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
88GT;1065934; said:
I live in a mobile home. Will the floor support a 60-75 gallon tank? I want ti keep LMB no longer than 12". Also, why is it bad to release them where you got them when they out grow the tank? There are lots of ponds ans streams where I live and the fish seem kinda domesticated anyway.
Whether you are keeping them with tropicals or not it is illegal to re-release them.

Even if there are absolutely no contaminants in the water you are growing out a fish that may or may not have gotten eaten or died in the wild.

You've taken a potentially weak specimen, kept him well fed, grown him big so that his chance of being eaten or killed is significantly lowered, and released him back into the wild where he'll potentially breed and pass his weak genetics on to future offspring. Now that he's nice and big and has been kept alive by you he's able to take over territory from smaller but genetically superior fish because perhaps if you wouldn't have caught him mother nature would have taken care of him before he got the chance to breed.

The risk is significantly raised if you release him into a different waterway than he came from, but it's still there even if you release him back into the exact spot where he was found.

He could also still contract a foreign parasite or disease whether you keep him with non-native plants or fish, or ANY other fish or plants for that matter. What are you going to feed him? You can't make sure you're getting food from the exact place where he'd be eating it in the wild.
There's just too big of a risk keeping him in an enclosed system where he'll stay in close contact with any parasites in the water raising his risk of becoming infected.

It's just overall a bad idea to release fish that have been kept in an aquarium back into the wild. Ecosystems are fairly complex and (re)introduction of anything into them could cause problems for certain creatures.

The best bet is either not keep one if you can't provide a home permanantly (best choice), euthanize him when you can no longer provide space(provided you can't find somewhere to put him other than local waterways), or eat him. Releasing him back into the wild should be out of the question.

There are plenty of natives that can be kept in that size aquaria for life.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
What are you planning on feeding your LMB? Releasing him back into the wild is not an option. Do you eat fish, you could just keep until big enough to make a good meal.

ColdwaterCreekGuide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Alabama
www.myspace.com
I have kept largemouth bass for over 2 years now. My main concern when I started learning about keeping them in aquariums was their growth rate. I have only had one fish outgrow my tank, and instead of eating him or releasing him to an existing body of water, I made a pond adjacent to the spring-fed creek in my backyard. He seems to be quite happy there. When in my aquarium I feed them wild guppies (aka Mosquitofish) that I catch from the creek.

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
I ended up putting the tank at right a right angle to the main steel beams,( paralell with the floor joists) and put a concrete block pillar under each beam. Knock on wood!

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
systmofadwn;1078483; said:
ive got 2 bluegill (4") in a 20g high and im building a 2800g in the tank to house several largemouth channel cats and possibably walley or something scarey like that lol
Got any pics of a largemouth channel cat?

lilith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
FLORIDA
I too live in a moble home. We figured based on the floor rating and how much a filled tank weighs that we could put a 125 gal with no additional supports. Currently we have a 75 and a 100 as our 2 largest tanks. Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store