Biotope s and natural tanks

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Bertie07 Bertie07
Itsadeepbluesea Itsadeepbluesea Backfromthedead Backfromthedead Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have attempted to replicate some biotopes but im admittedly not very good at it. My tanks as of right now are all mashups. Perhaps when i stabilize my new, immature tanks and fish I'll start separating them geographically.

One tope im steadily working towards is a small congo river tope for my 60. I already have the tank, 3x syno shoutedeni and 6x brycinus longipinnus, a cool piece of black african marble, and a piece of driftwood that resembles an elephants skull. Im thinking about maybe a smaller hemichromis, kribensis, butterflyfish, or maybe even a bichir to throw in the mix.

Im also crazy about the idea of a shenandoah river tope (local for me). It would have to be a long tank with strong laminar flow and lots of boulders. A group of redbelly dace, some bluehead chubs, and madtoms.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Just took my 36g planted tank with a red breasted sun fish down, but will be starting a natural tank in the 180 I bought a few months ago (decided not to do with the coral cat/australian marbled catshark tank some may remember me posting about a while back). I just have to finish building the room in my basement. I'll put up pictures as it gets set up.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I'd love to see everyone else's in the mean time! I switched to more natural tanks at a youg age as I found them more appealing. I've had many over the years with various fish both topicals and natives. Can't say I've ever done a true biotope though.

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Post it and any info/stuff ya want to share!
My reds are in a Rio Negro biotope...nothing but sand, DW and leaf litter. I don't have a recent FTS..this was taken back in January. Took out a few pieces of DW because they were swimming in to them..

ts1.jpg

What it used to look like..
image.jpg

And in action..

Something I'd like to share..it's said that if you replicate a fish's natural habitat, it makes them less aggressive. So I tried it and still lost 2 LOL

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
dan518 dan518 requested a biotope sub forum recently. It's a great idea and I feel mfk is lacking in this area.
The next day Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 created this thread. I thought it was a bit strange as he did not feel a biotope forum was required. Saying the subject only needed a thread.
When I saw this thread I refrained from posting as I felt it belittling to what dan518 dan518 and many other members are pushing towards.
If this thread has few posts, it may be looked upon by mods as an indication that a biotope sub forum is not going to be a popular enough place to visit.
I do not believe that to be the case and feel others may not have posted here for the same reasons as I.
Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 may of had good intentions when creating this thread but just thought it a little odd after what Dan had started.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store