Blood Parrot Care Sheet

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
I think 3-4 would work. Just remember to do TONS of WCs and over filter the tank.
Depends on the fish sometimes. Seen some top out around 5" and seen some reach 8".

Amazing article, Best one I have seen. sticky this!!!!
Would love to see it stickied but I would want to revise and fix some of it first.

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
I still have an issue with calling the more kkp looking ones low quality blood parrots. A mammon isnt a low quality blood parrot is it? lol. I just dont agree with this because I consider the real mututated ones low quality - as they often die younger and have more health problems. (more mutated = bigger notch and triangle mouth)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I still have an issue with calling the more kkp looking ones low quality blood parrots. A mammon isnt a low quality blood parrot is it? lol. I just dont agree with this because I consider the real mututated ones low quality - as they often die younger and have more health problems. (more mutated = bigger notch and triangle mouth)
I would feels comfortable called these ones you spoke of a low quality blood parrot especially when it comes from Walmart, just like a red texas from Petsmart. I has yet see any health problems in blood parrots, especially the mutated ones.

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
The one problem I have seen is swim bladder problems, also SOME struggle to eat. My 2 bps and my SB texas died in part of swim bladder issues. Stress was part of it though.
Didn't give them as good of care as I should have too :(
Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
^ I see lot of swim bladder problems in fancy goldfish than in blood parrots. It is true that blood parrots struggling to eat but all blood parrots I owned in the past do not have this issue.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Well the thing is Mammom and KKP are a different breed. A Trimac and a Flowerhorn may look exactly the same but they are 2 different fish. Out of the two Walmart Parrots I grew for about 15 months, they got to about the size of a normal Blood Parrot. I still have the female and she about 5", I would imagine true KKP would be larger at this point. True KKP also have a deeper orange red color and mine were more of a peach orange colors.

Its like how in those batch of Kirin I keep grabbing from, ones not really a True Kirin. It don't have the deformed mouth or the notched back. That little one is a the equivalent of a Low Grade BP.

Heres my low grade female:

IMG_7937.jpg

The last picture I took of the male (funny, same background parrot)

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

FuriousFish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Very informative... But don't they need more than a 30 gallon minimum as an adult?

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
30 is fine for one usually. Sometimes you get Blood Parrots that will get larger than 6-7" and those ones do need a larger tank. Its sometimes not ideal but it works, kinda like an Oscar in a 75 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store