Status
Not open for further replies.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
xtrememarinetanker;2484365; said:
Thank you both for the offers and I will keep you both posted on the progress and if I need anything I will be sure to ask I appreciate it!
Count me in too, would love to help.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Well, since there is over 130 posts and not a screw has been screwed I believe people are losing interest not to mention faith. If I were you I would show some proof of intent. You have one hell of a team assembled. I for one hope you begin some sort of build soon. I would love to see this thread and your tank grow.

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Well I can't wait to see the pics. I wondered when some-one would build a Monster Salt Water Tank. Good luck

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
jamey0615;2489296; said:
Well, since there is over 130 posts and not a screw has been screwed I believe people are losing interest not to mention faith. If I were you I would show some proof of intent. You have one hell of a team assembled. I for one hope you begin some sort of build soon. I would love to see this thread and your tank grow.
Not one dollar hasn't been spent either. I've been critical only because I think this is nothing but a prank by somebody who has watched the discovery channel a bit too much. Some of the materials mentioned make it sound like he's building a space craft, not an aquarium. So far it's a very good joke if that's what this is.
Too many things about this project are perplexing. I just can't make sense of a 15 foot high reef tank that is only 5 feet wide, but 35 feet long. That is a terrible footprint for aquatic life and oxygen exchange. Also this 1:3 width to height ratio will make the visual depth look quite odd.
Carbon Fiber and Aluminum is another question mark due to possible cathode corrosion. Fiberglass and epoxy will still need to be used to prevent corrosion. Then there is the electrical issues that could make this project inconceivable. I think he'd need enough solar panels to cover a football field. Then there is the small money issue. Here's someone who was haggling about acrylic prices earlier and is looking for free advice, but is willing to spend $15k every 60 days for professional maintenance fee's.
Things just don't add up too well. Most people who have built this kind of aquarium already have a long time love and passion for aquatics, and building this project would part of a natural progression. If I was planning this, I'd already have a few dozen large frag tanks set-up so that I'll be able to stock this new aquarium once it was built, otherwise a mega reef is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Too many questions and complications are being created for something that can be so simple if it was scaled down to a more reasonable height. This would be a very feasable project if it was only 35 ft long x 5 foot wide x 5 ft high. Even scaled down, it would turn out to be one of the nicest aquariums ever built.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
I'm going to have to agree...we haven't even seen pic of any kind of tank. Like mentioned above 90k for annual maintenance alone?
(in this ECONOMY?)
This is not the natural progression for sure...

But Ma said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything"...So for Ma, I say,
As far as concepts go, great imagination...

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I called BS on this at first too, hence my first message.(which I think is actually a cool idea, turning ones basement into a tank) At least he knows how to follow through on a joke if this is one.

If this is for real, you can't expect results quick. Something like this could easiily take years.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Take the Mega Tanks that are already owned by Current Members... JohnPTC, Anythingfish, Arapiamag and others... All have started out with much smaller in size tanks and they gradually built up to the mega tanks that they have now... When building a tank of this size you need to have a growing knowledge of how these things operate and are done on a smaller scale so that when you build one of these Beastly monsters you have some clue as to what to expect...My Question to the OP now is .... What is the Largest Saltwater... or Freshwater for that matter Tank you have owned? There is a HUGE Difference in dealing with a relativly large Private Saltwater tank of 250-500 Gallons and a 18K tank like this...

Also I seriously don't beleive that a 60 day maintance plan is going to work as a tank this size will need Much more attention than that... The Public aquariums around here have Divers in the tank pretty much every other day taking care of one thing or another in the Salt tanks... Water Changes alone will take up more than 1/3 of your estimated costs...

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Maybe be zoodiver, will provide input?

sterling_mcdaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
idaho
could you imagine the cost of this beast.... i payed 15 dollars for a bag of salt!!!
that's $5400 just for the initial salt!!:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store