Building a Mega-Home Marine Tank (18,000 GA) Need Advice All Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hi everyone, no I haven’t gone anywhere and I am definitely not going to let some talking heads scare me off, but they choose not to believe me on whether or not what I am going to do, listen if you live in USA you would know that some of the people are great however some are talk before you read, knuckle heads and skeptics with a mentality of judging before we see proof of anything. Just look at Roger Clemens , Barry Bonds, and others who are judged without merit or evidence, in Clemens case people rather believe the con man over the hero where a society of listen to one mindless runoff and you know “hey” I will listen to them instead of listing to the person I need to but no matter, guys also keep in mind I do have a job and a career so I can’t post everyday but when I get updates then I surly will and people really interested in the progression please stay tuned and to the critical run off, well.. I’ll just take the high road and be nice. One thing I don’t understand some of you where critical when you thought this was a rush job, but now that you have figured that hey maybe there is serious planning going on and now criticize me for not hurrying and posting pictures or visuals to the forum I would say to you please, stay on one attack line ok. And my last observation to the “coolkeith” saying or criticizing the use of carbon fiber or aluminum read the post carefully I did say that we are using epoxy and a special blend of fiberglass to cover the inside of the tank and seal along with other applications to ensure a tight seal so again if you’re going to run your month please be correct ok. Beside it seems to be the same talking heads that are critical. But to everyone else who supports and has offered help I will be sitting down with my team later this weekend and have some preliminary visuals for review. The market is my friend in all this Gas falling below $50 is greatly aid in price and for those rumbling about money go take a economic course refresher understand everything we're using is affected by a market price so the longer we wait to purchase or lock in a price the more we will save, and if the country is truly in a recession that will aid in budget and planning even more when it comes to materials.

And my final note I am not a person that likes to confront people I am on here because I enjoy the forum and the purpose and I think it’s cool to share things with people who have the same interest on doing something outside the box and pretty incredible. So for those who are excited about this please stay tune again I value your input and your welcome to join the ride and any advice again is always welcome. Thanks everyone!

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
xtrememarine - IMO, you are either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid.

best of luck to you in reaching your goal, whatever it may be....

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
See, wait and waiting pays off, I'm still in the 'on the fence' camp I hope everything works out and everyone can help out

tylerperkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
wi
16 pages not one pic no progress after months and months of talking I SAY CLOSE THIS THREAD

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
xtreme- Maybe you should read my posts more carefully. I never said anything about how you were sealing the inside of the tank. I've worked with Aluminum for about 20 years. You need to prevent any contact from happening between the Aluminum and Carbon Fiber, which is the only reason why I mentioned fiberglass and epoxy. IMO, You couldn't have picked a worse combination of materials for an aquarium. Any good engineer would agree with me.

badisbadis101

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
Houston
i would love to see this work :D

Anyways, i the biggest flaw i see with your design is the height. Yes, it would be impressive, but you would never see the fish above 8 feet or so. In addition, a tank 3 times higher than it is wide is very hard to aquascape. I would seriously consider bringing the height down to 5 - 6 feet, and increasing the width as much as possible. This would save you $$$ on the acrylic panels, and even more $$$$$ on the lighting for live corals. 15 feet is a looooooong way down, especially for animals that need 4 - 5 watts/gallon in 2 foot deep tanks. 18,000 gallons times 5 watts = almost 100,000 watts, but that would only allow you to grow coral down to maybe 3 feet below the waterline. to penetrate to the bottom, at least a million watts of light would be in order, i would think. Not only would the initial investment be huge, but the operating costs woudl be through the roof.

Anyways, i sincerely hope you succeed :D

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
extreme - now that you should finally understand the problems, I'm glad to be of help.

Best of luck with the project.

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
Again I love the idea. I am very optimistic about this ^_^ can't wait for the pics. Ummm i do have to say that I personally would shorten and widen the tank, just due to the fact that it would actually hold more, and bigger fish more comfortably this way, also in my opionon it would look better. I do understand you want for being able to look up above you though, and i can appreciate that, just..in my opionon the purpose of a tank is the have the fish at eye level so you can see them up close. (although I love that giant whale shark exhibit)
Anyways thats my 2 cents
waiting on pics.

puffcrusader696

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Corning, New York
www.youtube.com
i would shorten it to 6 feet... widen it to make up for volume loss and use a ton less lighting than the 15 ft. tank would require. less panel cost and less lighting cost. big saver. so simply stated just do what everyone else was saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store