Building My 15,000 Gallon Mini Mega Tank

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
hoss62773 said:
what's a project like that cost? something i've been dreaming aboput for years
I built my tanks in the 1994-97 period. So the cost would be different today.

Your main cost assuming you own your home and want to build it in the basement would be the glass. The steel frame members and the welding. Then the cost of the concrete and how you choose to line the tank. Price these costs in the area you live in because everything varies so much.

Go to John's site (building his 2400 gallon arapaima tank) for great details in building & filtering a large tank. He is much more knowlegeable in construction than I am.

Like me he encourages hobbyists who admire,own and raise large tropical fish to build large tanks to give them good homes.

two_amen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
MD, USA
I know you have heard it like 15 million times. But those two tanks are off the hook!!!!

:mwave:

Your dedication to the hobby is most inspiring. I am certainly now challenged into finding or building “mega” tanks to properly house my favorite predatory fish.

Still the question - Best guess estimate of base cost for building the 15,000 gallons tank in 1997??? I am trying to get a proposal together to ask Uncle Sam for a grant to build something similar.
Sike!!
Seriously for the 15,000 footprint, the basic cost for concrete, concrete blocks, steel, glass, portable epoxy, silicone and, fiberglass about $30,000 – 50,000 US?????
C

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
two_amen said:
I know you have heard it like 15 million times. But those two tanks are off the hook!!!!

:mwave:

Your dedication to the hobby is most inspiring. I am certainly now challenged into finding or building “mega” tanks to properly house my favorite predatory fish.

Still the question - Best guess estimate of base cost for building the 15,000 gallons tank in 1997??? I am trying to get a proposal together to ask Uncle Sam for a grant to build something similar.
Sike!!
Seriously for the 15,000 footprint, the basic cost for concrete, concrete blocks, steel, glass, portable epoxy, silicone and, fiberglass about $30,000 – 50,000 US?????
C
I do not live in the USA but I am sure you could build it in the range you estimate.
Best wishes in building a large tank for your big fish.

Oscar guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Queens NY
thats alot of money like food water changes heaters medicine no offence but u crazy ur like sick wit it but i would do the same thing in ur finnancal state

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
forget the money just the thought of coming home to that size tank and watching them is awsome :headbang2 .

have you ever thought about growing bichirs or maybe moray eels, also did the fish that ate the 28" aro swallow it whole or slowly eat it piece by piece? i wish that it could have been taped or filmed :ROFL: , i am truly sorry for the mistakes of others and i know this is a fish site but how about some pictures of your bird room too, i wonder is that like the atrium in jurrasic park 2 0r 3, maybe you have some condors or bald eagles in there. plus i'm a teacher in new orleans will send you kids if you need live bait for your tanks and birds :WHOA: :screwy: :naughty: :grinno: :grinyes: :woot:

holla back and great job!!!!! :thumbsup:

bentank1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Cleveland ohio
arapaimag said:
In this project, I designed and built a second mini mega tank in my main fish room in my basement. It is a lot smaller but I like it very much. My mini mega tank is also L shaped. The long part of the L is 28 feet, the short part 18 feet. the front to back of the long part is 6 feet for the first six feet then widens to 10 feet, The front to back of the short part of the L is 10 feet, The tank water height is about 6 feet. It holds around 15,000 gallons.

Please note that none of this article or pictures can be reproduced or used in any article or story without my verbal and written permission.

sweet

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
rasdbo said:
forget the money just the thought of coming home to that size tank and watching them is awsome :headbang2 .

have you ever thought about growing bichirs or maybe moray eels, also did the fish that ate the 28" aro swallow it whole or slowly eat it piece by piece? i wish that it could have been taped or filmed :ROFL: , i am truly sorry for the mistakes of others and i know this is a fish site but how about some pictures of your bird room too, i wonder is that like the atrium in jurrasic park 2 0r 3, maybe you have some condors or bald eagles in there. plus i'm a teacher in new orleans will send you kids if you need live bait for your tanks and birds :WHOA: :screwy: :naughty: :grinno: :grinyes: :woot:

holla back and great job!!!!! :thumbsup:

The planiceps swalled the aro whole............

I'm cutting back on the birds. They take a lot more time and I've had problems physically looking after them all. Hobbyists who keep a lot of birds must exercise caution due to the possibility of theft. I do have a friend who breeds bald eagles(and many other raptors) for restocking zoos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store