was tha a bass in the picture with the stingray

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
likestofish;1254384; said:
was tha a bass in the picture with the stingray
That was my Wolf cichlid..........Herichthys dovii or whatever the new name is this week.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
It was great meeting many of you at the Ohio Cichlid Association Conference in Cleveland on the weekend. It looks like everyone had a fantastic time and it was a fine tribute they made to our late friend Stuart Grant who actually came from Africa and visited and saw me and played in my tanks with Ad Konings and Tom Herman in March of

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
the only question i have is when? when can i come visit, seriously all i need is an address. i think i live close enough. would that be alright? maby over the holidays if your not busy or on a weekend i could drive up if its cool with you id love to explore the wonders of your basement!!!

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
thamunsta;1285261; said:
the only question i have is when? when can i come visit, seriously all i need is an address. i think i live close enough. would that be alright? maby over the holidays if your not busy or on a weekend i could drive up if its cool with you id love to explore the wonders of your basement!!!
What big fish do you keep?

Where area do you live?

smilin_joe_cool

Feeder Fish
Dec 20, 2006
St. Louis
I have been watching with sincere admiration since I joined the forum. In truth the articles section of MFK was one of the primary reasons I signed up. Quite aside from your demonstrated dedication, perserverance, and the awesome magnitude of your dreams, I am truly awestruck at the way you have made what appears to be an mini-ecosystem in your 15k and 50k tanks. I realize that you need to feed them, filter, heat, etc. Here I am referring to the fact that your fish are actually breeding and feeding on each other while apparently maintaining a relatively stable population over a DECADE. Although I'm sure you have your hand's full with the fish themselves, have you ever given thought to writing a book? You'd have one guaranteed sale:)

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
smilin_joe_cool;1289537; said:
I have been watching with sincere admiration since I joined the forum. In truth the articles section of MFK was one of the primary reasons I signed up. Quite aside from your demonstrated dedication, perserverance, and the awesome magnitude of your dreams, I am truly awestruck at the way you have made what appears to be an mini-ecosystem in your 15k and 50k tanks. I realize that you need to feed them, filter, heat, etc. Here I am referring to the fact that your fish are actually breeding and feeding on each other while apparently maintaining a relatively stable population over a DECADE. Although I'm sure you have your hand's full with the fish themselves, have you ever given thought to writing a book? You'd have one guaranteed sale:)

Thanks for all the kind words and I am happy that you enjoy my big tanks and all the others on MFK.

I will be making changes to the 15k in 2008 and that will be to remove the brycons, large barbs and dorados. This will allow the tank to become more like the 52k and become more of an ecosystem. Currently the cichlids (mostly central and south american) do breed and herd schools of up to a thousand babies around the tank for a few days but then they are all eaten mainly by the big boys I mentioned that will have to be moved.

The brycons also effect the feeding of my aro's because of their speed, strength and aggressiveness.

I will not be able to write a book due to time restraints. I am involved in many areas outside of the fish hobby. One of which is I am organizing my 2008 bb tournament www.spitfirechallenge.ca . I hopefully will however contribute to information on building large aquariums at the Stingray symposium in Chicago in August 2008.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
thamunsta;1289484; said:
im growing out a flowerhorn right now, not big by your standards its about 8"
my largest tank is a 55. i live about 1hr north of toronto.
Sounds OK but I am strapped for time so email me and we can see if it doable.
arapaimag@speedway.ca

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store