MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Sweet! I think that's an Albino Channel, it looks like mine:

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
What size is it? leaning to Hemibagrus nemurus ;)

Got a pic from side?

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
ewurm;1402114; said:
Sweet! I think that's an Albino Channel, it looks like mine:
Hey thanks for the great pics and I agree it does look a lot like yours but in fact it came from Asia and probably is a Hemibagrus (old Mystus). I just don't know the species.

Lee Finley saw it a few years ago and could not identify it either.

It is only about a foot long and I have owned it for more than ten years. I had channel cats and got them up to 30 and 36 inches in a couple of years. They were like yours and quite a bit heavier and stronger than my guy.

They were both killed in a 48 hour period by a 18" Hemibagrus (Mystus) nemurus. Which is very thin catfish compared to your channel cat. The Hemibagrus rips the skin off the bigger cat and causes it to die from the bleeding and the infection in the wounds. VERY NASTY....................

BOB WRIGHT april 2007 085.JPG

BOB WRIGHT april 2007 081.JPG

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
wayne the pain;1403726; said:
What size is it? leaning to Hemibagrus nemurus ;)

Got a pic from side?
It's about 12 inches long.

I just put a couple of pics on the reply above.

I've got nemurus and they are a lot thinner and grew a lot longer in the 10 years I've had this one. The Albino also is not as nasty as the adult nemurus.

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Yeh know what you mean about H nemurus being thinner, but to be honest think there is still a lot of confusion between H nemurus and H wyckioides, as H wyckioides was once sold under the name of H nemurus. H wyckioides is a long slender catfish compared to H nemurus, and if it was in albino form you would never see the easily recognizable red tail,and white maxillary barbels. on some sites the max size given for H nemurus is a little on the large size, not saying ive seen loads but ones ive seen barely if ever reach 18" never mind the quoted size of 2ft+.And H nemurus is also farmed in the far east in the albino form. anyway il post a pic and see what you think, compared to yours think body shape is pretty spot on.

m nemurus.jpg

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
wayne the pain;1404254; said:
Yeh know what you mean about H nemurus being thinner, but to be honest think there is still a lot of confusion between H nemurus and H wyckioides, as H wyckioides was once sold under the name of H nemurus. H wyckioides is a long slender catfish compared to H nemurus, and if it was in albino form you would never see the easily recognizable red tail,and white maxillary barbels. on some sites the max size given for H nemurus is a little on the large size, not saying ive seen loads but ones ive seen barely if ever reach 18" never mind the quoted size of 2ft+.And H nemurus is also farmed in the far east in the albino form. anyway il post a pic and see what you think, compared to yours think body shape is pretty spot on.
Thanks so much I think you have solved the identification problem for me.

because I must have acquired H wyckioides (Sold as Mystus nemurus then) a thin fish with a redish tail in the past and the confusion prevented me from identifying this fish as actually being the real H nemurus.

Would you suggest the real red tail catfish asian is H wyckioides. (The thinner of the two fishes with the red tail)

And H nemurus maybe should be called the false red tail asian catfish.

Too bad the pet shops have not caught on yet.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on the Hemibagrus.
You don't happen to live at 221B Baker street ????????? Sherlock...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store