Bumpy the TSN jumped ship! :((

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Hey guys, and girls. :eek: I'm pretty bummed and worried right now. I just went out to the garage to feed my fish and noticed my largest tsn was missing. I looked on the ground around the pond and there he was under a chair beside the tank. He was pretty dry to the touch and was covered in saw dust. He was still gasping for air so I put him in the pond, brushed off the sawdust with my hand, and held him in the air for about an hour. He's started swimming again, but everytime he stops he flips on his side. I added some salt to help him breath easier, but I'm really concerned. Hopefully he'll pull through. He's 27" and 1 year 6 months old. Got him at 2" last year. He's way outgrown all my other tsn, and recently surpased my rtc. His name is bumpy and he's gorgeous. I'll try to find a good pic of him. :cry:

Picture is a couple months old, but it's all I have on my wife's computer. Hopefully he'll pull through. He's the nicest, and most perfect looking tsn I've ever owned, and I know he's destined to be a true monster with his amazing growth rate and appetite.

IMG_5587.JPG

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
:(

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
OMG...I love your Catfish! I really hope it pulls through!

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Hoping for the best, dude. Keep us posted on the recovery, k?

meanwhile, lots of airstones for bumpy.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Yeah I'm digging out all my extra aireators right now. I just held him in the air some more and he seems to say thanks everytime. He struggles until I get him in the air after he's in the air he just sits there and gulps it while I hold him. If I let him go he will swim away, but not until I'm not touching him. After he swims away he flips on his side though. I added salt, and now I'm going to put an extra 6 airstones on the pond. I don't want to move him yet, and further stress him. I think staying in the pond is best for now and I'll just super airstone it. Looks like he was there for a while because blood pooled in his stomach. I can see it like a big bruise on his belly. Other than that he physically looks ok. Looks like he jumped out, landed on the corner of his snout, rolled once, and sat there on his belly waiting on me to rescue him. I think it's a good thing I hand train all my fish. He doesn't mind me messing with him normally, and now it's comming in handy. I took some vids, but I need to get some more air on that tank. If he doesn't look better when I take my wife to work in 3 hours I'm going to put him in my hospital pond. Thanks for your kind words guys. It shocked me how big he looked outside the tank since I just put him in that pond about a month ago when I rearranged the garage. I really hope he pulls through.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I just wish the 4000 gal were finished. None of this would have happened then. It will be impossible for a fish to jump out of that tank. Come to think of it this guy did jump out another time on me when I had him in the house, but I was netting him out when he did. He's kind of a skittish tsn, but I still love him the same.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
ok, one of my backup aireators doesn't work, but at least there's 4 extra on there. Looks like half the pond is covered in air. All the fish are on the other side. He seems to be able to orient himself a little now, but only time will tell I guess. The tank is super aireated right now. I have to get some kind of sleep though. I'll be checking on him again in about 3 hours. I'll let you guys know what's happening.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Awww Crap man.... you need to sit down and let all your fish know that the big tank is coming soon and show them some pictures... maybe then they won't try to go chech it out on their own...

Seriously though, I wish Bumpy all the best in his recovery, it's a good sign that he's moving around under his own steam though.

Reminds me of a little loach that I had that jumped.... he was dry as a desert fart when I found him... not breathing... basically dead... but I had remembered someone mentioning that you should put them in a fast current so I put it in a net and hed it under the filter return... sure enough within a couple of mins it was breathing again and within an hour from that it was swimming around like nothing happened. Fish are tougher than we give then credit for... I'm sure under your care Bumpy will be in the best possible care and will be alright!

SNRMADE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
?
Mate,I hope the big guy makes through.By the sounds of what your doing he should be ok fingers crossed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store