Can I add koi with predator fish?

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
The most common cold-water fish species is the goldfish, followed closely by its larger counterpart, the koi.
Even though koi can survive in extremely cold or very hot water, it does not mean that they do well at these temperatures. This is especially true if the extreme temperatures persist for long periods of time. Koi tend to do well when their water is around 65 degrees or slightly higher.
Coldwater fish in terms of the aquarium trade refers to any fish species that prefer cooler water temperatures. The optimal temperatures for these fish hover around the 68-degree mark, although each species’ temperature range may vary from the norm. The main take away message is that cold water fish like cooler waters compared to their tropical fish counterparts. Typically, these fish can survive at even lower temperatures for a period of time. The most notable fish species that you will see in chain stores that fit this category would be Koi, Goldfish, Zebra danios etc.
I could go on and on and on with sources. You are simply wrong and giving very bad advice.
Seems like you don't really know Koi were developed via the Amur carp and you assumed koi came from the same lines as goldfish. Perhaps I'm not 'simply wrong and giving very bad advice.' Most of the fish mentioned by the OP are not overly aggressive and this combo can possibly work but he would need a very large tank with good flow but that was not his question.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Seems like you don't really know Koi were developed via the Amur carp and you assumed koi came from the same lines as goldfish. Perhaps I'm not 'simply wrong and giving very bad advice.' Most of the fish mentioned by the OP are not overly aggressive and this combo can possibly work but he would need a very large tank with good flow but that was not his question.
Tbh I did not know that Koi originated from Vietnam. Learn something new everyday lol.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Here's what I found for the origins of koi.

[/URL]

[/URL]

These are just a few of the handful of sites I looked at for the origin of koi and they pretty well all suggest that koi originated from the common carp. Btw this only took me 5 mins to look these up on Google.

[/URL]

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
THIS ABSOLUTELY THIS. Amur carp or grass carp have extremely different head shapes to koi, which are basically the common carp.
From what it said in the sites I listed they came from a color mutation in the common carp which some royalty in China made extremely popular before they invaded Japan. After they left Japan however, rice farmers there decided to keep some of the carp and raise/breed em for food untill they became popular there for their color blotches and then the craze spread throughout Japan and everyone wanted to keep these colorful fish and breed em to get more specific colors/patterns. This all started up long before China ever became one complete nation and was still split into several different sections with each having their own ruler, which were constantly at war with eachother. But like allot of these site mentioned if that the history of koi is a lil bit iffy and should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure not everything is a 100% accurate but if multiple sites are come up with the same conclusion there's got to be atleast a bit of truth behind it.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
From what it said in the sites I listed they came from a color mutation in the common carp which some royalty in China made extremely popular before they invaded Japan. After they left Japan however, rice farmers there decided to keep some of the carp and raise/breed em for food untill they became popular there for their color blotches and then the craze spread throughout Japan and everyone wanted to keep these colorful fish and breed em to get more specific colors/patterns. This all started up long before China ever became one complete nation and was still split into several different sections with each having their own ruler, which were constantly at war with eachother. But like allot of these site mentioned if that the history of koi is a lil bit iffy and should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure not everything is a 100% accurate but if multiple sites are come up with the same conclusion there's got to be atleast a bit of truth behind it.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
From what it said in the sites I listed they came from a color mutation in the common carp which some royalty in China made extremely popular before they invaded Japan. After they left Japan however, rice farmers there decided to keep some of the carp and raise/breed em for food untill they became popular there for their color blotches and then the craze spread throughout Japan and everyone wanted to keep these colorful fish and breed em to get more specific colors/patterns. This all started up long before China ever became one complete nation and was still split into several different sections with each having their own ruler, which were constantly at war with eachother. But like a lot of these site mentioned if that the history of koi is a lil bit iffy and should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure not everything is a 100% accurate but if multiple sites are come up with the same conclusion there's got to be atleast a bit of truth behind it.
My reply should have been deleted. I went off to do more research and yes Vincent Wu is right. They did originate from Amur carp, cyprinus rubrofuscus, the Chinese populations specifically. Google decided to misinform me by saying the Amur carp was synonymous with grass carp, which I now know is clearly not the case. I should have done more research instead talking out of my rear. Sorry.

tldr google confused me by saying that amur carp is the same as grass carp

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
My reply should have been deleted. I went off to do more research and yes Vincent Wu is right. They did originate from Amur carp, cyprinus rubrofuscus, the Chinese populations specifically. Google decided to misinform me by saying the Amur carp was synonymous with grass carp, which I now know is clearly not the case. I should have done more research instead talking out of my rear. Sorry.

tldr google confused me by saying that amur carp is the same as grass carp
Thank you for 'manning up' .. most people just would chose to disregard their mistakes. I make plenty of mistakes myself but I will admit when I've made a mistake or when the wrong information is passed along. We are all here to learn and move the hobby further along.

redswordz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2023
Koi are not tropical fish. Not all of Asia is tropical, not even all of Southeast Asia.
Koi can thrive in tropical countries. I'm from a southeast Asian country and all of southeast Asia countries are tropical. we only have rainy and summer season. I've seen a lot of koi ponds both in my country and from other southeast Asian tropical countries I've visited, all of those ponds are thriving with all the koi. vincet wu is right, get your facts checked bruh

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Koi can thrive in tropical countries. I'm from a southeast Asian country and all of southeast Asia countries are tropical. we only have rainy and summer season. I've seen a lot of koi ponds both in my country and from other southeast Asian tropical countries I've visited, all of those ponds are thriving with all the koi. vincet wu is right, get your facts checked bruh
He is right tho, most of Asia isn't tropical. Granted I'm not saying Vincent wu is wrong either but most of Asia is primarily a temperate climate zone just like most of the US. It's mostly the coast lines that are sub-tropical - tropical. If we were talking strictly about China or India then yes they would be primarily sub-tropical - tropical, but Asia is an entire continent filled with dozens of countries that have a very wide range of climates and biomes.

But yes over all, koi should do just fine in tropical-temperate climates either way. They are extremely tough and resilient fish that adapt very easily to new environments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store