Can I add koi with predator fish?

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
The answer is yes; you may do anything you like. Generally speaking you'll have the greatest success with species that share temperament and geographical origins but you already know that or you wouldn't have asked the question. The question to ask yourself would be 'why don't I ever see anyone else doing that' and 'for how long will it work'?

And the answers you'll find when you pair them all together.

You'll may get a rough idea of what to expect just by observing the differences in the way the fish you're hoping to pair interact w/ others.

Reactions: ken31cay

redswordz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2023
He is right tho, most of Asia isn't tropical. Granted I'm not saying Vincent wu is wrong either but most of Asia is primarily a temperate climate zone just like most of the US. It's mostly the coast lines that are sub-tropical - tropical. If we were talking strictly about China or India then yes they would be primarily sub-tropical - tropical, but Asia is an entire continent filled with dozens of countries that have a very wide range of climates and biomes.

But yes over all, koi should do just fine in tropical-temperate climates either way. They are extremely tough and resilient fish that adapt very easily to new environments.
yes you are right the whole of "Asia" isn't tropical but i was pointing out that he says "southeast Asia" isn't tropical which it is in fact tropical. the whole of "southeast Asia" is tropical. "Asia" as a whole is big, we have east Asia, southeast Asia, south Asia etc. and yeah i agree with you overall, koi are hardy fish and can thrive with wide range of temperature. i've seen a lot of koi that are able to thrive here in the philippines and all the other countries I've visited (thailand, malaysia, indonesia, singapore and hong kong), even with tropical conditions koi can thrive. to say that koi are not tropical fish is ludicrous.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Koi are not tropical fish. Not all of Asia is tropical, not even all of Southeast Asia.
Some people don't know that subtropical fishes also live in Southeast Asia...i have many fishes from southeast asia in my coldwater tank.And they are doing well by 14,15,16 degrees of celsius.For example some danios or rhinogobius species.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Hey guys I was wondering if I could add a koi with these tank mates:
1 silver arowana

1 florida gar

2 oscars

1 giant red tail gourami

1 tiger shovel nose catfish

1 ornate bichir
Your koi carp will be definitelly suffering in such a stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store