Catfish ID help

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
To my eye it behaves as an unsettled "LSN" would.

Never heard of this hybrid. As much as I am anti-hybrid, anti-man-made fish, I wonder what that frankenstein looks like.

The fish does look kind of an unusual "LSN", chunky, a bit awkward (which, I agree, is one of the hybrid traits). But it is still the same, poorly bendable hockey-stick catfish to my eye.

Last edited:

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
To my eye it behaves as an unsettled "LSN" would.

Never heard of this hybrid. As much as I am anti-hybrid, anti-man-made fish, I wonder what that frankenstein looks like.

The fish does look kind of an unusual "LSN", chunky, a bit awkward (which, I agree, is one of the hybrid traits). But it is still the same, poorly bendable hockey-stick catfish to my eye.
I think the head shape of this fish is rather wide and too stubby for it to be a normal Lima...unless it was a sb/semi-sb. This fish will be moved to a larger tank in another few days and I will take better top view pictures of it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Does to me, Vince, which does not mean much. I mean if Fugupuff thought so, that'd mean a lot :)

If it is on a well established feeding regimen and has been growing 3"-4" a month, then it must be the real deal. If it does not reach 2' in 6 months or less, I'd doubt it is a fila.

Also, fila are said to not be spooky.

(One of the most relevant ID threads and a collection of links http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/piraiba-pictures.520869/ )

Last edited:
Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Does to me, Vince, which does not mean much. I mean if Fugupuff thought so, that'd mean a lot :)

If it is on a well established feeding regimen and has been growing 3"-4" a month, then it must be the real deal. If it does not reach 2' in 6 months or less, I'd doubt it is a fila.

Also, fila are said to not be spooky.

(One of the most relevant ID threads and a collection of links http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/piraiba-pictures.520869/ )
Thanks for the link!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
i agree, looks 2 be a true fila... im no expert on the capaxfila debate but im sure others will chime in. and vince ur killin me with all these albino/leucistic cats :) i absolutly love em all haha. ill do some picture hunting/body shape deciphering toinight when im outta work.. but my instincts tell me this new picture/specimen in question may be a rtcxtsn hybrid. head shape looks a bit farmiliar to me. any further info on it i.e. country its being sold in or w/c collection area. id suspect its coming from a fish farm with all the tsn/hybrid aquaculture goin on down south/overseas. Cant wait to see it in one of ur tanks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
i agree, looks 2 be a true fila... im no expert on the capaxfila debate but im sure others will chime in. and vince ur killin me with all these albino/leucistic cats :) i absolutly love em all haha. ill do some picture hunting/body shape deciphering toinight when im outta work.. but my instincts tell me this new picture/specimen in question may be a rtcxtsn hybrid. head shape looks a bit farmiliar to me. any further info on it i.e. country its being sold in or w/c collection area. id suspect its coming from a fish farm with all the tsn/hybrid aquaculture goin on down south/overseas. Cant wait to see it in one of ur tanks :)
I only know 4 things about this new platinum cat...
1. I'm buying it! If it's still available...haha
2. It's too small to ship at the moment :confused:
3. That it is a hybrid
4. How much it costs:(

I think you are right about the mix.. I will ask for more pictures

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store