MFK Member
updated 12th nov. as this fish is becoming more available

Species name:
Channa ornatipinis

Common name: burmese spotted snakehead

Maximum size: around 25cm

Origin: Southern: Irrawaddy and Sitang River basins Myanmar

introductions: none as yet!!

Temperament: very aggresive , will not tolerate members of its own kind in small spaces , although a dwarf species req,s a very large well structured tank to house a group

Company: best kept in a species tank , do not mix with tropicals as these are sub-tropical fish and will not fair well , more than any other snakeheads these guys deserve propper consideration when buying. they deserve a species tank, and should be left to the more seasoned snakehead keeper. they do not make a very good 1st 2nd or even 3rd snakehead

Water parameters: Temperature 18-25 c ; pH avoid extreams, slighly softer water , although these guys can stand higher levels of temp for periods of time they sould not be kept year round at theese temps. there behavior is directly affected by tempreture , and very high temps are thought to be stressfull

Identification: similar to pulchra but have much more prominent black spots on head , allways shows multi black spots in dorsal fin

tank set-up: an important consideration for theese guys , even though they are considered as a dwarf species , please aquascape as if they where at least a medium sized snakehead , they are ultra aggresive amoung each other and need there own terratories , in nature they are found one large stones , one stone one fish - never two . try and replicate this in the aquarium with seperate areas for each fish , this in its self reqs, a large area to work with. where they are found the river bed is made up of volcanic rock (red lava) use of theese and plants can make a realistic biotope setting. temp should be sub-tropical with a lower safe guard set at around 16deg ambient temps should take care of the higher temps

as with pulchra they inhabit a stream that is fed from the hiymalaya mountains , in the wet season it is very wet with snow melt from the mountain causing fast flowing waters high oxogen content and higher ph values, in the drt season the opostite happens , streams dry up snow stops melting , so the stream turns into a series of isolated pools , in theese pools the oxogen content slowly drops as does ph and water level , in the aquarium this can be replicated by installing a sio, tunze ect powerhead at the surface during winter months , when summer comes round we can drop the level of the water ,turn off the pumps at the surface and add hardwood leaves to soften the water , by mimicing nature in this way we stand the best chance of getting these wonderfull fish to breed in aquaria , and also ensure they are at there happiest

other notes: they are from a small area and not very many are thought to live in the wild , they have not yet bred in the aquarium together with falling prices this is without doubt going to be putting excesive pressure on wild stocks , before we know it there will be no more left!!

as the prices have fell this has unfortunatly meant that they are available to more people and more people will but these fish as an impulse buy ,many of them are dieing at the hands of people who know no better , every owner of this fish should try and breed it to try and ensure the contunuance of this fish not only in aquariums but also in the wild

this fish is now to be found for around £20 each , only 1 year ago it comanded prices of £150 and up . although it is found quite often in shops i would urge you you leave it there unless you are perpered to meet this fishes needs

breeding: not yet acheived in the aquarium . thoughts are that following there natural pattern will be the key with this species , know to be a mouthbrooder from a male specamin caught in the wild carrying young.
some people have opted to keep theres in seperate aquariums while they grow . bringing them together when sexually mature , to save on deaths from fighting while growing up

DSC_0097.JPG

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Species name: Channa sp turquoise

Common name: gachua turquoise - note dna tests have now proved this to be a valid species seperate from gachua
(latest update - there is now some doubt over the results of the dna tests
carried out on this species. so for the time being we can still assume this fish
my possably be in the gachua complex and by refered to as

"gachua var. turquoise" until further dna tests can be carried out

Maximum size: new species -suspected around 20-25cm

Origin: Southern: Brahmaputra River basin, Assam, India

Temperament: fairly mild as long as well structered tank provided

Company: best kept in a species tank , do not mix with tropicals as these are sub-tropical fish and will not fair well

Water parameters: Temperature 18-25 c ;a sub tropical species found near the rainbow habbitat , pH avoid extreams, slighly softer wateris prefered

breeding : as with other gachua species breeding should not prove dificult , and they can pair up and breed from a suprisingly small size of around 3-4 inches. for all all other breeding information please refer to gachua care sheet

Identification: looks very much like gachua but with blue turqoise running lenght of body that is more visable in natural light ,classic gachua red band on cardinal fin and under eyes

DSC_0041.JPG

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Species name: Channa amphibeus

Common name: bora cheng

Maximum size: upto 2ft

Origin: Southern: Brahmaputra River drainage, northeastern India and Bhutan

Temperament: unknown

Company: anyone lucky enough to find this fish will want to keep it alone or as a pair , this species is rarer than barca and would command a price tag to show this , it is not found in the river but as far away away as two miles from the river in forest habitat ,living in holes under the ground where they are allways found in pairs ,

Water parameters: Temperature suspected 18-25 c ; pH avoid extreams, slighly softer water

Identification: said to resemble young barca, allthough the type picture below shows a fish strikingly similar to a female sp assam. unless this species is redescovered we will continue to know very little about it. even its true apperance

Snakehead_1251_33.jpg

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Species name: Channa nox

Common name: night snakehead

Maximum size: specamin pictured at 20cm but thought to grow larger

Origin: Southern: Southern China, near Hepu, Guangzi Province

Temperament: unknown

Company: anyone lucky enough to find this fish will want to keep it alone or as a pair , is know to exsist in fish markets in guangzi province but never been exported into the aquarium trade

Water parameters: Temperature suspected 18-23 c warm temperate to sub-tropical; pH avoid extreams, slighly softer water

Identification: said to resemble channa asiatica except channa nox being much darker around the upper half and lacking the white around the cardinal ocellus also lacks pelvic fins as asiatica

Photograph by Heok Hui Tan​

Snakehead_1251_89.jpg

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Species name: channa diplogramma

Common name: Indian giant snakehead

Maximum size: not yet know , but study by a fellow aquarist suggests that diplogramma grows to a lot smaller size than micopeltis , see notes below

Origin: Malabar coast of India, kelera

Temperament: aggressive increasing with age but less aggresive than its close relative channa micropeltis

Company: mix with other fish at own risk , good chance this fish will be the last fish standing in any tank it is introduced

Water parameters: Temperature 25-30c warm tropical species : pH avoid extremes, slightly softer water( water in kerala was around 6.7ph and 26deg temp when tested in october

Identification: juvie fish are identical to channa micropeltes adlut fish develop spots on head , as juvie fish ,this species seams to lack the briliant white belly of micro and instead has a red hue to it. this species has compleated the transformation to adult colouration by the size of 7" where as micropeltis rarely compleate the change until over 15", it is fair to assume from this and the information supplied by jelly who has a specamin to study that the expected adult size would be around the 24" mark maybe even smaller in an aquarium

other notes : only found from a small area of tropical india , this species is very rare in the trade , despite being a far better suited aquarium fish than the mighty micropeltis. as this fish is rare it does comand a higher price tag , than micro but the fact that young look so similar allows the not so truthfull out there to exploit the situation and pass off micropeltis as diplogramma , in fact we have allready seen this on the forum , people buying diplogramma only to find out months later that it is indeed a micropeltis. if in doubt get a written garrentie or walk away.

PICTURE PROVIDED BELONGS TO JELLY​

dip2.jpg

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Species name: parachanna insignis

Common name: african snakehead

Maximum size: reports upto 2 foot - largest of african species

Origin: africa - Congo and Zaire;)

Temperament: aggresive , to other fish and to its own kind - juviniles noted to be highly canabalistic

Company: best kept in a species tank ,

Water parameters: Temperature tropical species 28 c pH avoid extreams, prefers slighly softer water

Identification: Coloration is distinct among African channids in that there are chevron-shaped bars across the middle of the back that extend up onto the dorsal fin; central area of sides contain 4-5 dark blotches that are distinct from each other; lateral line passes through these blotches. Dark stripe on side of head extending from posterior rim of orbit to upper part of operculum.

many thanks to frank schafer of aqualog publishing for the use of the following picture, one of the few on the net
and nicley shows the diferances between
insignis and obscura

frank has asked me to note that dna analysis done by lukas ruber and ralf britz
now clearly show that the african channa form a monophyletic group
which means that parachana remains a valid genus

cInsignisObscuraMSchaefer.jpg

fishponder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Philippines
I'm a greenapple at this just would like to reply and get my post in for full registration.

I too am familiar with the Channa species but not as you are. In my area Philippines we have the Northern Snakehead (Channa Argus). Which when i first arrived was very relentless in hunting this species knowing that they have them here.

I captured a shoal and let them loose back in their habitat 2 months later.

I have experience breeding the Gachua type which was fairly easy during large water changes.

I would like to one day observe the Micropeltes type provided i can attain a large enough tank.

Maybe one day when i get your age hehe... the Barcas will be easily attainable and less expensive.

thanks for your time.

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
welcome mate , nice to have you here , you are lucky argus is something i will never observe as a licence is needed overe here for them and they are near impossable to obtain.

unfortunatly i think barca price will stay fairly high , they are near impossible to find in the river bank ,and nearly all that have been captured for the trade where caught moving accross land. they have all been caught by one guy , apparently there is no trick to catching them other than pure luck.

but i also hope to see the day when they become affordable

cheers col

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store