chlorine tolerant fish

L021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Ontario CA
GarNiac;3475394; said:
are there anymore fish which are strong enough to survive from chlorine?
here, I dont mean to put the fish in the contaminated water right away, but sometimes we just may not realize what we do before the fish suffers and dies.
in my experience so far, I know plecos, bichirs, and oscar, do you know anymore?
Plecos could probably survive in brackish mate. Danios and plecos are the two hardiest fish I know, and ca easily survive tap levels of chlorine (no plecs in the pool:ROFL:)

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
L021;3476106; said:
Plecos could probably survive in brackish mate. Danios and plecos are the two hardiest fish I know, and ca easily survive tap levels of chlorine (no plecs in the pool:ROFL:)
It's a general statement. A lot of plecos are sensitive to water conditions. I would not make a blanket statement out of that.

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
GarNiac;3476096; said:
thanks sostoudt, I forgot to mention most of the time I keep the water more than 2 days before I use them, so far its OK
that should work for the chlorine.
but as with the chloramines i cant say, the only thing i ever read about removing them by evaporation is it will take several days with vigorous aeration from a air pump. so that one is not exact at all.

you can contact your water supply to find out what they use, they may even have mailed your household a brochure about there water quality once a year(mine does).

perpetualdejavu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
ohio
GarNiac;3476092; said:
reading your comments make me sick really, did you even read my post in the beginning, I never meant to put any fish in a jeopardy, nor that I poison them. I am just willing to know if accident should happen than your fish too will die caused of this chlorine. Dont reply if you dont understand my questions, otherwise we will start argue each other. Of course I will put dechlorinator after the water change, I am just saying that some fish do have tendency to survive even from a bad water. But again even though those fish survive ffrom chlorine, still I wouldnt risk it, otherwise what you buy is a dead fish!!!! so if dont know any of the answer dont bother replying this tread!!
The question was whether there are anyfish could survive from a bad tap water (chlorinated)?I see someone answered it already, so its most big fish could handle chlorine rite?
You need to make yourself clearer. Because your original post reads like you have put every fish you have owned in water without any treatment applied to it. From what it sounds like the majority of fish you have owned have died because of this? I really don't understand how treating water is so difficult this should be a complete non issue. Sorry for being blunt but it really makes no sense to me.

Naldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Ohio
The only fish I ever heard of surviving in chlorinated water was a freshwater drum, aka sheephead for those of us in the Great Lakes region. These fish can live in swimming pool levels of chlorine according to pro bass fisherman Fish Fishburn who dumped several into a hotel pool to test new lures. Much to the dismay of the other guests and hotel manager I would imagine.

The other fish that comes to mind is the Paradise Fish. Their natural habitat is extremely toxic to almost any other fish, so maybe they could survive chlorine.

Naldo

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
First warning, guys. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
perpetualdejavu;3476181; said:
You need to make yourself clearer. Because your original post reads like you have put every fish you have owned in water without any treatment applied to it. From what it sounds like the majority of fish you have owned have died because of this? I really don't understand how treating water is so difficult this should be a complete non issue. Sorry for being blunt but it really makes no sense to me.
I rather not read comment like this, reading it making me sick, dont post anymore comment in this tread!!

perpetualdejavu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
ohio
GarNiac;3476232; said:
I rather not read comment like this, reading it making me sick, dont post anymore comment in this tread!!
Sorry I just find it strange that you can remember to age your water and still forget to add a dechlorinator. Anyway good luck finding fish that can live in it. I'll leave you alone now :p

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
perpetualdejavu;3476237; said:
Sorry I just find it strange that you can remember to age your water and still forget to add a dechlorinator. Anyway good luck finding fish that can live in it. I'll leave you alone now :p
good, now you can read other tread and start pissing off people!!

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
GarNiac;3475394; said:
are there anymore fish which are strong enough to survive from chlorine?
here, I dont mean to put the fish in the contaminated water right away, but sometimes we just may not realize what we do before the fish suffers and dies.
in my experience so far, I know plecos, bichirs, and oscar, do you know anymore?
Why would you want to subject any fish to chlorine :screwy::screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store