CICHLID TANK AQUASCAPING!

ctenopoma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Canada
sand , large smooth rocks and some drift wood with strong plants like java fern attached would look nice , also I know alot of rockwork is better for african cichlids but if you want to use rocks I would reccomend using pumice stone

there are techniques to make it sink and the small holes on the rock allow a place for good bacteria to thrive. and also pumice being so light there won't be alot of weight pushing against the tank.

Whiplash4ever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Rockford
www.myspace.com
This is mine, for what it's worth.

Whip

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: [RE: What they found on Miranda] This record here's about twelve years old. Parliament buried it and it stayed buried until River here dug it up. This is what they were afraid she knew. And they were right to fear. There's a universe of folk who're gonna know it, too. Someone *has to* speak for these people.
[pause]
Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

http://www.myspace.com/whips_world

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
for jags and red terrors rocks and drift wood are your best bet a couple of plastic plants couldn't hurt

What i do is go out and buy a few nice pieces of drift wood and get some nice slate rocks the flat ones the big round ones take up to much room IMO unless you make circles with them or something to make a nice terrirotry then it looks good or if you stack them against the back of the tank that doesn't look bad

Any way what i do is try to draw it on a piece of paper to try to get a feel for what might look good once you have an idea try it in the tank useually it won't go together like you drew it but useually you make changes to make it fit and it ends up looking better then you drew it

Finally watch the fish if they are more out going and there colors seem brighter then you've doon a good job

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
For Jags go with two large central peices of DW that are viney and spread out with two HUGE ( Fake bamboo 36" plants) on the sides draping into the middle over the DW. With three spot lights over the top, no strip lighting as it messes with the aquascaping and plus your tank will look superb with vibrant Jags in it. This is what I am doing for my 400 gallon Parachromis tank. I am doing resessed lighting though in a canopy over the tank with fans so it doesn't make the water boil lol. I recommend three 75 watt stainless steel light fixture or even 50 watts will be enough. Oh and large river rocks or black sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store