cloudy eye recurrence and whether force-feeding kanamycin is viable?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
He might get better. And if so he might be prone to it again.

I would keep the water at 30C (86F).
really? 86 F seems pretty high, I also got tiger morays, bichirs, and a flagtail in that tank, dunno I they'd like that high of a temp. if it is more beneficial at these high temps though I might keep it that way permanently.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
really? 86 F seems pretty high
NTT come from the Mekong River, and tributaries in the East of Thailand. I am a little further North. The ground temperature, and the temperature of the Ping River is 31C at the moment. The Mekong will be the same.

It can get cooler, and in January, the ground temperature will be about 25C. But for most of the years, it is around or higher than 30C.

NTT can live in the cooler temperatures, but they tend not to eat much and are much less active.

If your want your NTT to be comfortable and recover well, make it easier for him with warmer water and scrupulous checking of water parameters.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Midwater
I'd be curious, to see some simple testing (if you have the time, and energy) in or around the waters near where you live?
To see, if the same is true there where Dats live, as in tropical areas that match up with tropical areas in Panama where my cichlids come from.
So often we see erroneous info that our fish come from nutrient nitrate filled areas.
yet where I test, nitrates are non-exiistant.
It seems to me aquarists are often bamboozled into a false sense of nitrate reality, when the truth is far and away totally different.

On a side note
one other alternative to the use of a full sump, is the use terrestrial or aquatic plants in the main tank itself, to somewhat reduce the excessive nitrate load.
I use house plants with roots in the tank, along side the aquatic plants wherever possible.
IMG_9966.jpegIMG_3165.jpegIMG_1534.jpeg

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Midwater
I'd be curious, to see some simple testing (if you have the time, and energy) in or around the waters near where you live?
To see, if the same is true there where Dats live, as in tropical areas that match up with tropical areas in Panama where my cichlids come from.
So often we see erroneous info that our fish come from nutrient nitrate filled areas.
yet where I test, nitrates are non-exiistant.
It seems to me aquarists are often bamboozled into a false sense of nitrate reality, when the truth is far and away totally different.
Over the next few days, I will test the Ping River, which is close to where I live. It is high now. Watch this thread.

It could be years before I next go the Mekong River, I don't travel so much now.

Apart from dats and some of the particularly large fish, many species are the same in both rivers.

On a side note
one other alternative to the use of a full sump, is the use terrestrial or aquatic plants in the main tank itself, to somewhat reduce the excessive nitrate load.
I use house plants with roots in the tank, along side the aquatic plants wherever possible.
Yes, I am always amazed by your planted sumps.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Over the next few days, I will test the Ping River, which is close to where I live. It is high now. Watch this thread.

It could be years before I next go the Mekong River, I don't travel so much now.

Apart from dats and some of the particularly large fish, many species are the same in both rivers.

Yes, I am always amazed by your planted sumps.
I think the high temperatures are something i would try but again, i’m worried if my other fish can handle hot temperatures. and about the mekong river testing i might be able to do it in a couple months, im native chinese and visit very often.

Reactions: Midwater

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Not sure but just make sure it’s maracyn2. Maracyn by itself has limited treatment too. I’ve used fritz products w/o issue. Easy dosing too especially for their other products, just IMO.
update, his eyes have cleared up quite nicely after dosing maracyn 2 in his quarantine tank, are there any after-effects I should know and what are the actual differences between kanamycin and maracyn 2? is it a stronger dosage of the specific chemical used in the battle against these infections or is it a different base completely? I'm curious to know how maracyn 2 functions differently from kanamycin.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Kanamycin has extensive gram negative coverage with very little gram positive bacteria. Maracyn2 covers both extensively. Just keep up the water changes to prevent anymore probs. Glad to hear your fish are doing well.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Kanamycin has extensive gram negative coverage with very little gram positive bacteria. Maracyn2 covers both extensively. Just keep up the water changes to prevent anymore probs. Glad to hear your fish are doing well.
what is gram negative coverage and gram positive bacteria? and should I still double up on my WCs? is 1 WC per week of 40% still insufficient? i can try to aim for the zero nitrate goal but I'm unsure how close I can get to it. thanks for the positive on the fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
what is gram negative coverage and gram positive bacteria? and should I still double up on my WCs? is 1 WC per week of 40% still insufficient? i can try to aim for the zero nitrate goal but I'm unsure how close I can get to it. thanks for the positive on the fish
The bacteria turn a certain color with gram stain. Helps to identify bacteria. I suggest up your water changes this is the 2nd episode. To me there is too much waste and/or bacteria circulating issue although your nitrates aren’t terrible. Something seems off so I suggested to up your water change. Instead of 40% then consider 75% weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store