cloudy eye recurrence and whether force-feeding kanamycin is viable?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
The bacteria turn a certain color with gram stain. Helps to identify bacteria. I suggest up your water changes this is the 2nd episode. To me there is too much waste and/or bacteria circulating issue although your nitrates aren’t terrible. Something seems off so I suggested to up your water change. Instead of 40% then consider 75% weekly.
I mean it's nearing the time for me to clean my one of my fx6s, maybe conditions will improve after filter cleaning. ill try 75% WC but the ph of my house tap is a bit higher than id like it to be and my buffers and tannins don't have too much of an effect on em. I also don't run RO so it might be difficult to lower the ph artifically.

Reactions: kno4te

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
duanes duanes

Ping River, today.

Latter part of the wet season and the river is high, fast and full of sediment.

ping1.jpg

ping2.jpg

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

Temperature: 30C.

Water is a bit cloudy with sediment.

water3.jpg

PH: 7.5.

Dry season it drops to about 7.2.

ph.jpg

Ammonia: Allowing for the cloudy state of the water, I would read this as zero.

nh4.jpg

Nitrite: Allowing for the cloudy state of the water, I would read this as zero.

no3.jpg

Nitrate: Allowing for the cloudy state of the water, I would read this as zero.

no2.jpg

Reactions: AR1

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your natural Ping River water parameters echo the same results I get in Panama.
No ammonia, no nitrite, but more importantly.....No nitrate.

As aquarists, we have learned no ammonia, and no nitrite are acceptable, so we deal with them, and filter accordingly......
but the elephant in our room, in reality are those pesky nitrates.

We can see world wide, .... in nature where we test natural unpolluted water, there is "no" nitrate buildup, yet allow them to accumulate over time ad nausium in our tanks.

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I would have been surprised if it was anything but zero.

It is possible that there is some nutrient build up in some small blind and stagnant irrigation canals that snake around fruit groves, during the hot season.

Otherwise, pretty much every waterway in Thailand would have zero nutrients.

Back to the original question, considering where NTT come from, keeping them in a tank with any buildup of nitrates is the usual reason for cloudy eyes, as they are all wild caught and have absolutely no tolerance.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
I finished my WC and nitrates tested around 10-20 range, the larger WC seemed to stress out my fish though as I did an 80% WC. datnoids going strong and I got 2 more days left on the maracyn 2 treatment. hopefully, it cures him permanently. everyone else is doing fine with the increased temps though. I think for my first time trying higher temp waters it went relatively well. it might be the permanent norm for this 250 honestly. Since I got you here, what are your thoughts on aquarium salt for freshwater tanks?

I would have been surprised if it was anything but zero.

It is possible that there is some nutrient build up in some small blind and stagnant irrigation canals that snake around fruit groves, during the hot season.

Otherwise, pretty much every waterway in Thailand would have zero nutrients.

Back to the original question, considering where NTT come from, keeping them in a tank with any buildup of nitrates is the usual reason for cloudy eyes, as they are all wild caught and have absolutely no tolerance.

Reactions: kno4te

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
what are your thoughts on aquarium salt for freshwater tanks?
In general, salt should have no part in freshwater.

There are some circumstances, where some salt in the water may help to de-stress fish - as a temporary measure only. Other members may have different ideas, and some may prefer epsom salt.

Salt should be mixed with water first, as grains of salt thrown into a tank can easily burn fish.

There are many types of fish (I keep loaches) that cannot tolerate salt even if stressed.

The Mekong river where NTT come from has absolutely no salt.

You merely have to work on good water conditions.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
In general, salt should have no part in freshwater.

There are some circumstances, where some salt in the water may help to de-stress fish - as a temporary measure only. Other members may have different ideas, and some may prefer epsom salt.

Salt should be mixed with water first, as grains of salt thrown into a tank can easily burn fish.

There are many types of fish (I keep loaches) that cannot tolerate salt even if stressed.

The Mekong river where NTT come from has absolutely no salt.

You merely have to work on good water conditions.
I was under the impression that salt was an additive that was beneficial longterm but just not used as often in the hobby. it helps with osmoregulation and reduces pressure no? my tanks are usually very lightly salted but I haven't added salt in quite a while so I was thinking of redosing as a permanent affix.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
salt helps with basic osmosis, extra salt provides benefits in terms of osmoregulatory systems as otherwise, the hypertonic solution may take in too much water. salt keeps a balance of both solution and solute. it also works against some microorganisms with a similar hypertonic reaction making the basic living environments healthier. though I understand that excessive usage of slat may lead to the buildup of bacteria with stronger immune but it's
For those fish that come from waters where there is no salt, how could it be beneficial long term?
why I only use little quantities. I've just used salt for my career but I guess I'm not in a stance to argue for it as my dat has caught cloudy eye twice in a row. medications or benefits cant guarantee 100% though

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
finished the first week of medicine on the dat, it’s mostly cleared but i noticed still a very light opaque layer when i was inspecting him so i’ll probably go another round with the maracyn 2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store