clown loach without substrate

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
how would clown loaches do in a tank without substrate? I heard they like to dig in it, but if i get enough for them to school should it be ok?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Should be OKay, just add a piece of drift wood.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Awww :-( That's sad. Now this is my opinion....but Clown Loaches are one of those fish-along with Oscars-that I feel border on 'sacred' :) For both those species I'd go the extra mile to give them what they want and need. No, they won't die in a bare bottom tank. But they'd be so much happier with sand. And branchy driftwood, hidey holes and shading. When they're comfortable and happy in their tank they'll put on a show for you as long as you're willing to sit and watch.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
TwistedPenguin;2479278; said:
Awww :-( That's sad. Now this is my opinion....but Clown Loaches are one of those fish-along with Oscars-that I feel border on 'sacred' :) For both those species I'd go the extra mile to give them what they want and need. No, they won't die in a bare bottom tank. But they'd be so much happier with sand. And branchy driftwood, hidey holes and shading. When they're comfortable and happy in their tank they'll put on a show for you as long as you're willing to sit and watch.
:iagree:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I think tanks without substrate suck. It's like being in a box of mirrors.

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
TwistedPenguin;2479278; said:

what would you say the extra thing oscars want is?

JONP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
texas
I agree with most above...clown loaches love to hide and love to explore rocky caves etc. so if you can definately add something.

I have 60 Africans, mutiple plecos and of coures my 3 clowns...I've had them for over 2 years and got them when they were extremely tiny. They've outgrown all my other fish and they are now my favorites without a doubt...

Thanks and good luck no matter you choose to do, if no substrate is the decision they will be fine also just not quite as happy...

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
I would go with the sub. it looks better IMO and the loaches will thank you for it with little loach dances and activity, a happier fish makes a happier fish keeper :)

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
The loaches will :D w/substrate.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
damn we got a bunch of Fish Whisperers on this site :) i have a school of 10 in my 210 with no substrate. they look "happy" to me, if there is such a thing ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store