clown loach without substrate

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
jcardona1;2484328; said:
damn we got a bunch of Fish Whisperers on this site :) i have a school of 10 in my 210 with no substrate. they look "happy" to me, if there is such a thing ;)
ditto. my 10 are good to go in my 90 with nothing.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Not a whisper, just don't like bare bottom tanks.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
yemista;2483428; said:
what would you say the extra thing oscars want is?
lol! My opinion? 6 foot tanks, low nitrates, sand, a couple big water changes a week, a super varied diet.....I'd go on but I suspect you were joking :) 'Sides...that's just my own opinion.

nosegoblin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2006
Turku, Finland
Could you explain why would you like to keep some fish without trying to imitate their natural habitat as much as possible? I do know this forum has a load of people who tend to grade their peers on basis of how big and many fishes they have but does anybody ever think about the wellbeing of the fishes?

Maybe the aquarium hobby culture ( and the forwardness in spoken/written word ;)) is different compared to what we have in Finland but believe me there is much more in fish keeping than just the fishes themselves. Besides, good looking planted tank with good layer of substrate, some hiding places in old tree stumps and proper technique will be like an frame to a painting called clown loaches. I should know better because having one. :D

I generally don't understand people who use some blue artifical sand, some crappy plastic miniature castle ruins, plastic plants etc in their tanks. That is just plain tacky. And to be honest, I think keeping aquarium without a substrate will fall under the same category.

Till the end I have to emphasize that I did not mean this to be any personal attack towards you but mere a thought giving opinion that may lose it's best edge when trying to interpret my thoughts in english.

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
jcardona1;2484328; said:
damn we got a bunch of Fish Whisperers on this site :) i have a school of 10 in my 210 with no substrate. they look "happy" to me, if there is such a thing ;)
cl whisperers if you don´t mind... :D

j<><

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Each one of us is entitled to our own opinions. There is no need to segregate those who prefer a tank with substrate from those who don't. I prefer the natural outlook of a tank which is why I use driftwoods and black substrate rather than buy the expensive decorations such as a dull castle to fool around.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Lupin;2493994;2493994 said:
Each one of us is entitled to our own opinions. There is no need to segregate those who prefer a tank with substrate from those who don't. I prefer the natural outlook of a tank which is why I use driftwoods and black substrate rather than buy the expensive decorations such as a dull castle to fool around.
well said. i just dont understand how some people claim their loaches are "happy" when i can guarantee they act the same as the pack i have in my tank with no sand or driftwood. i dont think fish have the mental capacity to feel joy, love, etc etc all the human stuff. it just comes down to basic animal instincts. hunger, fear, aggression, mate, etc

yemista

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
yea i agree, i dont think the fish really care. its one thing to not provide a fish with a big enough tank or clean water, thats bad for its health, but i dont think substrate matters unless the species uses it, such as fish that burrow in it, or clown loaches which like to dig in it for food

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
honestly, i prefer clowns to be kept in tanks with substrate..unfortunately, with my large clowns and arowana, it is quite hard to maintain the water quality..it gets bad pretty fast..and that is why im not using substrate anymore.

If possible, use the substrate, but if it is too difficult, forget it. i rather have a few clowns looking weird than to have them experiencing ammonia poisoning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store