Convict Breeding plan

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
wassup folks,

okay im planning on buying a juct convict tank so the can breed i need the feederz. okay i need to know the following;

How big a tank do they need?

How many eggs per batch?

whats the ideal temp?

Regular pH, water hardness?

Decore/enviornment?

Food for adults/food for babys?

how long does it take for babys to hit 2in?

type of filteration/aeration?

and everything else you think is important. thanks
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

i_love_fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
AZ
Look, this is what you need, either 20 gal or 30 gal fish tank. buy a 80 cent pot from lowes or home depot. just put it in the middle of the tank. Buy a female convict (has orange on the side) and a male (has no orange color) make sure the females a reasonable size. feed them well so they produce more babies. If you go to a LFC or petsmart just get 2 females one male and see which female pairs up with the male and then return the other female to the store. then your set! please dont kill or let the other female die though. if you need any more help just private message me.

i_love_fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
AZ
Also. food for babys is crushed flake food or brine shrimp.
temp/fileration just dnt worry about it. there hardy.

eggs produce around 200 if there fed good and are older.

also get a hiding spot for the female. so the male doesn't ruff her up!

the first batch will usaully get eaten by the female but they'll produce another laying in a week or so. unless you want to remove the fertalized eggs into a ten gallon with a syphon once they turn a brown color that means there fertalized. good luck.

niksu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2008
as
my friend got a lot of little fry convicts and i want to take some home with me XD haha i have a 20gallon tank avaliable and filters,pump,heater. is it okay to put them in? they are sooo tiny prob hatch like last week real tiny... or should i put them into something smaller first? any advice would help also if i do keep the fry's how long does it take before THEY start making babies? =D haha

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
20g tank
any kinda decor
78 degrees dose u best
but dont worry about it they breed whenever whereever and within a mounth
takes awhile tho
not realy worth it for feeders tho

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
If you are going to breed these for feeders and are serious about it, my suggestion is this ;)

a breeding tank of at least 30 g. possibly two. A pair per tank

3 20 g tanks for growout stages.

Filters... Eh.. most anything will work...

Temp... around 80 or a couple higher..

when the eggs from a pair hatch.. Pull them or wiat till free swimming and then pull them and place them in 1 of the 20's if the other pair hatches around the same time.. Put them in the same twenty.. This will be your feeder tank.. First batch.

When the next hatch comes put them in the second twenty..

Third batch goes to the 3rd 20.

every batch after that gets put in the third twenty.. You will move the fry from the third twenty just before putting fresh fry in it. and then move them on down...

WHY??? Because it takes awhile for them to grow.. An to have a substantial feeding stock. You will always need to have some growing... To replace the previously fed..

You can take this as deep as you want... But if you are only planning on one tank... WEll then you should just buy guppies it will cost you less in the long run ;)

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
^^ i love it im gonna attemt it. and im doing it for feeders and my LFS want to by convicts 2$ ea. so ima make so mula!!!!

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Sounds like a plan :D

RookieOfTheYear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
CA
damn wth?!? your LFS is going to buy convict fry for $2 each?!?!
...thats about how much my local fish store sells them for..
how would they make profit?

Hwarang_Samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
Japorean
Whens the best time to take the fry out mines are 2 weeks old and I have over a hundred of them :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store