Convict Breeding plan

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
NOW :D As they will likley start coming up missing shortly depending on mates or tank size the parents bred in.

2 weeks is more than sufficient to wein ;)

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
everyone seems to be getting pretty specific with your needs for breeding convicts, Im nno fish expert but im pretty sure that if you get a male and a female put them in a 20 gallon , prolly even a ten gallon would work and then after eggs hatch remove the fry to another twnety gallon (prolly even a ten gallon would work) im pretty sure the convicts would keep breeding and youd be aight . Convicts love to F**k

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Hdeuce;2019235; said:
everyone seems to be getting pretty specific with your needs for breeding convicts, Im nno fish expert but im pretty sure that if you get a male and a female put them in a 20 gallon , prolly even a ten gallon would work and then after eggs hatch remove the fry to another twnety gallon (prolly even a ten gallon would work) im pretty sure the convicts would keep breeding and youd be aight . Convicts love to F**k
He wants to raise them mainly to feed his fish ;) And the fish he is going to use these as a part of his staple diet for are fast growing large species ;)

Specific with breeding no... Specific with breeding to meet his substantial needs.. YES ;)

Your suggestion will not work unless he is feeding Exodons.... or other piscivores that stay under 4"

You are correct about the Fing.. But way off when it comes to actually successfully raising these as food source ;) many have tried and many have failed....

Do to thinking that because cons Bone.. that they automatically raise 2-6" feeders within weeks... Sorry this is just not the case. To get a good size feeder for on small piscivore, is a minimum of 3-6 months. When dealing with Cons ;)

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
Tongue33;2019241; said:
He wants to raise them mainly to feed his fish ;) And the fish he is going to use these as a part of his staple diet for are fast growing large species ;)

Specific with breeding no... Specific with breeding to meet his substantial needs.. YES ;)

Your suggestion will not work unless he is feeding Exodons.... or other piscivores that stay under 4"

You are correct about the Fing.. But way off when it comes to actually successfully raising these as food source ;) many have tried and many have failed....

Do to thinking that because cons Bone.. that they automatically raise 2-6" feeders within weeks... Sorry this is just not the case. To get a good size feeder for on small piscivore, is a minimum of 3-6 months. When dealing with Cons ;)
point taken , however he shouldnt feed them only feeders anyway should always keep pellets or flakes and use feeders to supplement at most.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
You are correct ;) Pellets and flake are nice usually for one family that he is going to be feeding vitamin soaked market shrimp is and smelt along with other cheap stor bought foods are the main course.

I am speaking of Cichla of course.

You are correct Varied is best.

niksu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2008
as
haha i dont want to use them as feeders, my fishes dont eat live food. i think it keeps them LESS aggresive cause when my jar DID eat feeders he was mean as **** but now hes chilled out. my friend's convicts hatched so i figure why not take a couple to enjoy in my own room =D haha but they just soo tiny.. hopefully ill get them by friday =D

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
ya im sure they want full grown convicts tho
my pet store wont take convicts
and if they do u get like 10 cents a peice
they sell em for like 25 cents

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
RookieOfTheYear;2019217; said:
damn wth?!? your LFS is going to buy convict fry for $2 each?!?!
...thats about how much my local fish store sells them for..
how would they make profit?
4$ ea females 5$ ea ther about 3-4in :irked:

but im gonna feed them to my cichla and well i heard i should feed them befor 1 in because they develope a boney back which could choke fish that eat them. do they add any color benifits? :grinno:

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I disagree with the bony back.. But that is just me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store