Cribroheros robertsoni (pics and input)

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Nice pics and fish Chris.
I still have never seen robertsoni with barring like yours. They are stunning though.
Thanks Stan. I'm glad they are finally coming around. They are an interesting fish for sure. They go through a lot of pattern changes as you can see from the pics. While different individual fish, they look drastically different as well. From my observations, the fish in the first picture is a dominant individual. There are two that show the barring like that. The others only typically show the single lateral black spot. Still trying to distinguish males from females...

Reactions: Toiletcar

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Nice pics and fish Chris.
I still have never seen robertsoni with barring like yours. They are stunning though.
It will be interesting to see if they become a completely different species. There are many visual differences. They are only found in the Honduras and specifically Rio Jutiapa. Not sure if they were so isolated from robertsoni else where that they evolved differently.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
It will be interesting to see if they become a completely different species. There are many visual differences. They are only found in the Honduras and specifically Rio Jutiapa. Not sure if they were so isolated from robertsoni else where that they evolved differently.
Yeah I wish there was more information on them. I have no idea of the lineage of my fish however I would imagine they must have a relatively low F# as you simply do not see this strain throughout the hobby very often.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Yeah I wish there was more information on them. I have no idea of the lineage of my fish however I would imagine they must have a relatively low F# as you simply do not see this strain throughout the hobby very often.
I agree. I hope you keep us updated on them, they are very cool.

How are they doing now?

Reactions: cjdesmit

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I agree. I hope you keep us updated on them, they are very cool.

How are they doing now?
They are doing great. Still not interested in pellets but eating flake food. While I would rather simply just feed pellets, if they prefer flake then I suppose I'll continue feeding it. All my others prefer pellets as that is what I have always fed...

I'll have to post a new thread overviewing my entire setup. I am not real happy with the current scape as it was thrown together rather quickly after removing my group of T. meeki but I suppose it's "post worthy".

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
They are doing great. Still not interested in pellets but eating flake food. While I would rather simply just feed pellets, if they prefer flake then I suppose I'll continue feeding it. All my others prefer pellets as that is what I have always fed...

I'll have to post a new thread overviewing my entire setup. I am not real happy with the current scape as it was thrown together rather quickly after removing my group of T. meeki but I suppose it's "post worthy".
They’ll come around eventually.

I’m looking forward to the thread. I sold off some of my meeki, I just have two now.

Reactions: cjdesmit

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
You wouldn't happen to have/know any biotope info in regards to Rio Jutiapa would you? From what little I could find it is a river... hah.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
You wouldn't happen to have/know any biotope info in regards to Rio Jutiapa would you? From what little I could find it is a river... hah.
Off the top of my head I think cutteri, p. astyanax aeneus, astyanax fascaitus..and Poecilia species which I think mexicana. Also x. mayae is found in the Honduras so that is possible. I would have to do a bit of research.
One thing I would think would be neat is to find the exact fish in a certain location. Not just fish that can occur together, but sold as from the specific location.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Off the top of my head I think cutteri, p. astyanax aeneus, astyanax fascaitus..and Poecilia species which I think mexicana. Also x. mayae is found in the Honduras so that is possible. I would have to do a bit of research.
One thing I would think would be neat is to find the exact fish in a certain location. Not just fish that can occur together, but sold as from the specific location.
As of now my 220gal is centered around the Upper Usumacinta Basin in Guatemala, more specifically Lachua Lake.

My inspiration came from this research paper I came across:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Lachua_Lake_Upper_Usumacinta_Basin_Guatemala

It goes into great detail the species that are found in not only the lake itself, but also the different micro ecosystems within it. While my current robertsoni are not specifically from this area, the species itself is (as are the rest of my stock).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store