Decision Time do I go to Fluval FX 5 or ehiem

jdl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2010
PA
squint;4036129; said:
I think bigger tanks should be looking at something more heavy duty than a myriad of canister filters. One big filter is less work than many small ones. 240 gal is pushing the limits of most canister filters.

My suggestion is to get an Ocean Clear 354, a separate pump, and plumb it with 1" ID hose. It's a small bead filter, something which is popular with ponds, aquaculture, and perhaps even swimming pools. In those "upsize" applications, separate pumps and filters are the norm.

The main benefit is ease of cleaning. You just shut off the pump, flip a few valves, connect a hose, and backwash the media inside the filter while draining the tank. You'll be done in less time than it takes to even crack one canister filter open. You'll never have to open up a filter and clean the media again. You can even backwash the media in between water changes. Exporting the debris before it can decompose into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates is the best option. Otherwise, filters only hide the debris out of site. It's still in the water column and thus will decompose. Hence the plethora of self-cleaning and backwashable filters for ponds, public aquariums, and other large systems.

do you have an ocean clear 354? Is it only used for mechanical or both mechanical and bio?

I was looking at the ocean clear 380, but the 354 may be a better option.

robr0924

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
magnolia
Hmmm? I like your way of thinking. I'll look into it. ;)

Unfortunately the wife:banher: went and bought "US" a new couch, and since "WE" have a new couch, "WE" have to have NEW lamps, and since we have new Lamps, we have to have new chairs to match. (seething - can you feel me):banher::headbang2:nilly::headbang2:grinno:

Also, you younger guys out there listen to me. Don't say things to significant other like:

"Next time "I" get a bonus, that "I" did all the work for, can I at least be present when all the money is spent. (this will not get you laid) :eek:

Hopefully next quarter will work out in my favor. Currently I'm just dream shopping and building.

Along the lines of DIY 1000' gal plywood tank, building sump for my big tank, and building a new 4400 gallon pond next to the pool.;)

All I got is Dreams and Time, ain't got no money.:cry:

yes dear i'm getting off the computer now, no that does'nt make you look fat. :naughty:

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I use 2 nr. fx5 on my 125g!!!!! I clean them both once every 20-25 weeks.

Personally I would keep one 405 running and add 2 new big canisters, fx5 or eheim equivalent. At least this way you know you'll beable to sustain the bio load from the arrow and plecs in the future.

Use the other 405 for your 125g.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Eheim. You deserve it.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
OK.. I will be the devil's advocate... :naughty:

I would go with EHEIM.. just because your running a canister filter for most likely 24/7 right? There are issues with FX-5s... mainly

1. Its nosier than EHEIM, in terms of the motor sounds.. FX5 has a low humming sound on it..
2. Issues with the return hose.. it can come off and leak on you if you dont zip tie it..
3. FX-5 compare to EHEIM uses more wattage... its about 50watt for the motor to operate.. while EHIEM uses no more than 20-25 watts 2180,2128 Pro III or Pro II models..
4. FX-5 has issues of burned out motor over a prolong usage....

EHEIM on the other hand...

1. Cost more than FX-5s.
2. Some parts you need to be delicate.... otherwise.. it will crack.
3. I can't think of any..

I'm mostly an EHEIM user.. i've havent had an eheim break down on me.. only when there are parts i either dropped or step on while clean the filter.. (MY NOOB MISTAKES)

Not to bash on FX-5s.. but EHEIM does last longer... 20+ years.. I still own an EHEIM with a "Made in West-Germany" tag on it..

I would cut down on ur AC110s and just do 2 canister filters..

Hope this helps.. ;)

TheCanuck;4069796; said:

WHOA! THATS A CHEAP PRICE.... a 2260 never is that cheap...

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I have an Eheim 2262 on my 220 gal, (pump upgrade over 2260) - great filter
:thumbsup:

HarleyK

zoomed.com