diy sump for 125 gallon tank

mel_cp6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
t.dot
im from CANADA.

i went to home hardware and again they only had 1/2 and 3/4 pvc and fittings.

the plumbing person said they dont carry 1" pvc since they are not regularly use. maybe here in canada we dont use pvc for household plumbing like in the states. i do know that houses here uses copper pipes.
maybe that has something to do with it.

but the good news is they can order what i need in 1" fittings and including the pipe. all i have to do is have the exact part name to place the order.

mel_cp6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
t.dot
things are in motion now.
currently working on the sump. installed the 1st chamber yesterday.
the glass are oversize so i had to sand them to make a tight fit.

already ordered the pump. and the return nozzles and modular pipings in black.

hopefully i can get all the required pvc pipes and fittings.

mel_cp6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
t.dot
well i just finished the whole project.
sump, pvc overflow and return line. currently working on my
C02 reactor and diffuser.

i have a bit of a problem though.
i am using a 1" pvc overflows with Quite1 pump which is capable of pumping 780 at zero and roughly 580 at 5ft.

overflow can barely keep up with the pump but the good thing is i put a locline inline valve to control the flow.

its a lot better without any type of flow restriction on the oveflow. when its just the 1" pvc. but if i put a 45deg elbow with a strainer it doesnt seem to flow as much and even if i just put a cap with 10 3/8" hole it still doesnt flow as much.

it drains really well without the elbow but still cant keep up with the pump.

do you guys have this problem with the elbow and strainer on the drain?
should i try to completely fill up the tank until the elbow is fully submegre to see if it will keep up. right now i just left the flow as is (without the elbow or drilled cap) so i can get bacteria on the pot scrubs and media stones.

thanks,
i will post pics soon.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Change to 1.25" PVC overflow or add a second 1" one. I read you are having aproblem getting larger PVC, do you have a real plumbing supply store in your area? I see atleast one wholesaler.

mel_cp6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
t.dot
yes, pvc are not readily available here in canada.
and if i do find some store that carries non standard items, prices are way to high.
like a 1" check valve here is around $40cnd where it is usually about 14-20cnd on the net after conversion.

why is it that if i put an elbow or elbow with strainer, the flow is significantly reduced?

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
uh. look harder.

homedepot, rona, lowes, all have 1/2", 3/4", 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3" PVC
i've purchased these sizes before so for sure they have them. i don't remember if they had 1" or 1.25".

mel_cp6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
t.dot
well so far out of those three. rona only carried the 1" and 1.5".
however, the ones from ronas has a smaller inside diameter. so back to home hardware again to order few more 1' elbows and pipes and shutoff valve w/ union.

hey aeri. interested in a 6" paroon?

here are some progress pics.

1" overflow with nylon screen on the elbow.

dual inline valve return line.

30gallon sump with 100pcs of pot scrubs, bio-stones and activated carbon

pic of tank. currently divided into 2. dont know which type of fish im keeping yet so better protect them from each other.

2songbirds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
PA
nice, job well done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store