Do ceramic rings work ? Or is it just marketing?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I also believe no one media is any better than another, its all just the oxygenated surface area that matters.
Correct, and on that note there are scores of different brands of ceramic bio media on the market, including many forms of rings, and some have far more surface area than others.

so does that mean ,all the massive internal surface area a ceramic ring is supposed to have is useless?
Is ceramic ring any better that pebble,if all the internal surface area is not used ?
Not necessarily - see comment above. Yours appear to be quite solid, what brand are they? My ceramic rings are quite porous compared to yours. Most of mine are Hagen Bio-Max, and were purchased dirt cheap from a LFS sell out auction 20+ years ago, and at that time this product was marketed as having 7.2 square meters of surface area per ring. But even this brand Hagen/Fluval has changed a lot over the years. Mine look the ones shown in the pic below, which as I said appear to be a lot more porous, with a lot more surface area than the ones that you are using.

1576714952296.png

Reactions: islandguy11

adz2332

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
what are pot scrubbies and what are they made from?? lol im australian and havent heard the term?

adz2332

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2019
cheers!! interesting to note i cant find anything like it for sale in australia!

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
Interesting and informative thread, thanks to all.

That chart looked like a very worthwhile source of useful info, but in examining it more closely I am left with some doubts. It shows "surface area per cubic foot", but what is the unit of the surface area? Square feet? It would be interesting to know, but without that info the numbers are still useful just to compare one media to another.

Except...some of these numbers seem a bit difficult to believe. Sand (grain size unspecified, despite it being an important factor) is shown as having a surface area of 150 square meters per gram! I have a hard time believing that.

Activated carbon is supposedly rated at 30000 square yards per ounce. Aside from the shifting of units of measurement, which makes comparison difficult, this one sounds like a prime example of a surface area which would quickly...very quickly, I would suspect...become clogged, reducing the available surface by a couple orders of magnitude.

Or am I just too much of a cynic?

I would also like to know the units of the chart. I assume its in feet ^2 but am not sure . When I found this chart there was a mulitpage long debate on its credibility. This chart dosnt seemd to be sourced well but there are some other studies that I assume where put together to make the chart. This other post seems to confirm pot scubbies as a pretty successful bio media. I can get 4 per pack at the dollar tree so i can fill a decent size sump with 20 bucks so it remains my favorite.

And in terms of cleaning them i keep them all in a mesh bag in my sump, When its time for cleaning i just shake the bag while blasting with garden hose. Im sure it kills some of the bacteria colonies but like mentioned earlier its best to have only the strong ones left.

Also they are often called nylon mesh scour pads. Pot scrubbies is more of a slang term.

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
Correct, and on that note there are scores of different brands of ceramic bio media on the market, including many forms of rings, and some have far more surface area than others.

Not necessarily - see comment above. Yours appear to be quite solid, what brand are they? My ceramic rings are quite porous compared to yours. Most of mine are Hagen Bio-Max, and were purchased dirt cheap from a LFS sell out auction 20+ years ago, and at that time this product was marketed as having 7.2 square meters of surface area per ring. But even this brand Hagen/Fluval has changed a lot over the years. Mine look the ones shown in the pic below, which as I said appear to be a lot more porous, with a lot more surface area than the ones that you are using.

View attachment 1398597
mine are some generic rings i bought from ebay, so like you said,maybe the branded stuff are better . ( we can know for sure if everyone could take a ceramic ring out of their sump/filter break it and post here ;):naughty:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
mine are some generic rings i bought from ebay, so like you said,maybe the branded stuff are better . ( we can know for sure if everyone could take a ceramic ring out of their sump/filter break it and post here ;):naughty:
If I remember, next time I am cleaning media I will do that. My main point is that there are a LOT of different brand/styles of ceramic/sintered glass rings on the market, and their surface area is going to vary a LOT. Due to that reason and others I find it difficult to place much merit in supposed data gleaned from a supposed study.

Every system can vary, but the ceramic rings that I use are part of a dedicated bio bed, that I maintain for very specific reasons. Do they work? Absolutely!

Reactions: islandguy11

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
cheers!! interesting to note i cant find anything like it for sale in australia!
In case you haven't already,check the dishwasing section in the supermarkets....as someone pointed out already, they are plastic scouring pads and "pot scrubbies" are pretty much a slang term.

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I don't know about all the brands, but the smooth surface rings get gunked up quicker it seems. The 'rough' ones stay pretty clean under flowing water...I use a combination of bio bale and rings, the rings on top to hold the bale in place. Nothing sticks to bio bale, its plastic ribbon with huge surface area. Plus its lightweight.

Pot scrubbies are a bit overrated, imo...they have lesser area compared to some media. Usually you need boo coo of 'em (fortunately they're cheap).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store