Electric Blue Carpintis Cichlid ??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's another carpintus in various stages of growth.
The name "electric blue" is probably just a made up handle to help in its sale.
And I agree with RD, if it came from a LFS instead of a respected cichlid vendor it's probably an aquarium strain Herichthys.
[/URL[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/Herichthys%20carpintus%20complex/035_zps6a4ff229.jpg.html]

all the above are the same individual in various stages of development, or mood.
Below, is an entirely different species. Herichthys [/URL]

Reactions: Adictd2Fsh

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The term "Texas" cichlid is a common name, a common name that is unfortunately often used interchangeably for both species.

H. cyanoguttatus is found in Texas, H. carpintis is found south of the border, and this is precisely why common names, or goofy trade names, such as "electric blue texas" only make ID'ing fish properly, more difficult. Spend some time on google, there are thousands of pics of both species, and numerous collection locations. The past thread below might be a good place to start.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/herichthys-cyanoguttatus-vs-carpintis.361460/

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Wow. I'm so confused with this fish. Lol. So he is definitely a carpintis. Just not sure what kind or where it came from. Can get pretty large and very aggressive. He's not a green Texas or regular Texas I know that because I used to have them that both bread with my pink convicts. So confused. He looks like the last picks posted Wich are H. and he don't look Texas if h is from Texas. Lol. Confused.

Tristren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
It is certainly a Carpintis. What kind is still up for a little bit of debate. Its not going to look like the ones you posted pictures of your dreaming it to look like or it would already be fully blue. I'm almost positive those are from Gus's Zeus line. But it could be a Vontehillo, or a Rio Hondo, or a Hericthys, or possible a less blue Escondido. Or it could be a hybrid Carpintis. In either case the Carpintis can get to be 10-12 inches and need the same kind of care most any large SA cichlid will need.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
It is certainly a Carpintis. What kind is still up for a little bit of debate. Its not going to look like the ones you posted pictures of your dreaming it to look like or it would already be fully blue. I'm almost positive those are from Gus's Zeus line. But it could be a Vontehillo, or a Rio Hondo, or a Hericthys, or possible a less blue Escondido. Or it could be a hybrid Carpintis. In either case the Carpintis can get to be 10-12 inches and need the same kind of care most any large SA cichlid will need.
Thank you. Even if it is not a deep blue I will still be happy. Sounds like it will get large and aggressive.I just want make sure it's not some kind of killer like the jaguar or dovii or flowerhorn.

Tristren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Texas
Thank you. Even if it is not a deep blue I will still be happy. Sounds like it will get large and aggressive.I just want make sure it's not some kind of killer like the jaguar or dovii or flowerhorn.
It will not be as aggressive as those you listed. In fact I keep mine in a tank with other fish and they seem to do fine as long as they are semi aggressive as well. You got a good find there.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Could definitely be just as aggressive as those fish. They all get a bit larger, but I have had some very mean texas cichlids. I wouldn't underestimate it.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Starting to think more and more he is blue Texas of some sort. He's getting the dark throat and belly like Texas.IMG_20180213_142703112.jpg

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
. IMG_20180213_142719029.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store