Fish Antibiotics Vet Only in Canada

pcb0832

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2015
*Canadian fish keepers*
They have banned fish medicine for canadians (unsure if just Ontario or all of canada) and now Bigals and many other fish stores will no longer sell fish medications such as Seachem Paraguard. Amazon is currently still selling it and I highly suggest you pick up a large quantity before it disappears. New law here is you need a prescription from a vet to get the medicine for your fish.

Reactions: Go_redfish

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Now what in the hell type of logic is that? I hope you're lying because that is the biggest pile of bs I've ever heard. Who's great idea was to make that law? I'm not even in canada and I'm still mad.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Now what in the hell type of logic is that? I hope you're lying because that is the biggest pile of bs I've ever heard. Who's great idea was to make that law? I'm not even in canada and I'm still mad.
He's not lying. But it is some BS. Is see soooo many problems up coming for fish keepers there.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
He's not lying. But it is some BS. Is see soooo many problems up coming for fish keepers there.
That is crazy!!! I wonder why they did that???

I do agree that it would be good idea to stock up ahead of time as long as it doesnt expire anytime soon...

Reactions: Matteus

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018

I do agree that it would be good idea to stock up ahead of time as long as it doesnt expire anytime soon...
This needs to go to a seperate thread but ive read up on it a bit. When you read between the lines it sounds to me like the only real benifit is for lining the pockets of vets and those related to that industry. Fish keepers are really going to suffer for this one

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
This needs to go to a seperate thread but ive read up on it a bit. When you read between the lines it sounds to me like the only real benifit is for lining the pockets of vets and those related to that industry. Fish keepers are really going to suffer for this one
I was thinking if that could be it, but since i’ve not read anything about it i didnt want to jump t conclusions...

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand

Was watching a YT video (Aquanut) and the guy explained it as being related to concerns about bacteria/disease developing resistance to antibiotics. Even though he's a fish keeper (and Canadian), he seemed to agree with this premise.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I can see the agricultural benifits to the laws but its retarded to include pet fish trade under the umbrella. Most mammal vets will not care for fish... Not many fish vets period let alone in canada

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I guess if we keep flushing antibiotics down our drains etc, they have to end up somewhere which is likely waterways where wild fish live and breed...

Which in turn could cause greater impact as wild specimens develop antibiotic restitant strains of certain viruses / diseases...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store