Flash Zebra Carapo Knifefish pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005

Hey guys I am finally posting pics of the Flash Zebra Carapo Knifefish that Formulated Fire won in the Raffle ! The fish is doing just fine and living happily in my 125 , I beleive I read somewhere that he was eating frozen shrimp of some sort
but if ya`ll know me like I think ya`ll know me he is now eating BEEFHEART !
Like all my fish do !Everything was great! shipping was great,the fish is great ! and my buddy Nick is great for giving me the fish ! in closing I would like to thank everyone from the top to the bottom that was involved !

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Well i guess ive had him for 3 weeks now he seems to have the same temperment as a black ghost knife but the Pike doesnt like him when he comes out thats why i have to move the pike , He hides all the time it is a cool fish , but you dont see him most of the time , eating : I have him eating beefheart the only problem with that is I have to hand feed him

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
He looks very nice in your tank.

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Ok since I`ve read the post about it being a Royal tiger knife I`ve done some more investigating on my fish , Now I know many fish are called many different names, I didnt see one time this fish being called a Royal Tiger Knife
I`ve found little tid-bits on my fish till I went to "All Things Knife ! "
Here is What I found there thanks to bstier he is an admin on All things Knife for the info !:

Scientific Name: Gymnotus carapo
Common Name: Banded Knife
Synoms: Gymnotus Carapos, G. Fasciatus
Size: Can reach lengths of 24-25" (61-63cm)
Origin: Distributed throughout Central and South America.
Tank: Any banded knife under 10 inches can be sufficiently kept in a 55-60 gallon tank, and any fish larger than that should be kept in 90-110 gallon tank that measures at least 48" in length. It should be kept with lots of plants to diffuse lighting along with rocks, wood, and all other sorts of caves.
Temperament: This species is usually aggressive towards it's own kind, but will be calm when kept with fish that it cannot swallow with a different "look" then the knife.
Compatability: Keep with other peaceful larger fish. No fin-nippers!
Water Type: Fresh Water
Temperature: 73-82°F (22-28°C)
Hardness: 4-18 dH (8)
pH: pH 6-7.5 (6.9)
Breeding: Not much has been recorded about breeding habbits in captivity at this time.
Feeding: Live fish, snails, small crustaceons, tubifex worms, blood worms, insects, earthworms, and some sorts of tablets.

This is a very stylish and expressive knife that is round towards to front part of it's body, which then compresses and ends up at a point. Young banded knives are yellow in color with brownish to gray stripes. As the fish gets older, the stripes will get more prominent and darker. This is a pretty peaceful fish that should be kept with other larger fish that cannot be swallowed. Max size your looking at 110 gallon tank for a comfortable home. The tank should have lots of plants and hiding place where the light is diffused to encourage the fish to swim about. There are no caudal fins on this fish, as well as no ventral and dorsal fins. The anal fin runs most of the length of the body until the end at the tip. Awesome knife !

eczs-1

Banned
Sep 17, 2005
suffern,N.Y.
That's all correct information...except the fish in question is not a carapo knife fish.First giveaway is the mouth pointed up and not straight ahead.Also,the body is flatter on top and the colors are all different.It will get a mauve color in the stripes.Young ones are colored exactly like the parents. But unfortunately, I have no clue how to identify fish and I base identification on color!
The knife in question is rare and not readily available.I have the scientific name around here somewhere and I'll try to find it. But that's right, I just remembered, Gymnotus sp. "Tigre" is not yet scientifically identified.. So once again I don't know what im talking about :)
All I know is, I post in other peoples forums, even though I'm just trying to help.. but than again, Miles dosnt come post in my forum and give customer service to my customers, even though they need it quite badly. Hell, I don't even have time to make a price list for my customers! :woot:
John
ps. I'm a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store