Flowerhorn lying down? Seems sick!

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
I bought this flowerhorn around 9-10 months ago. It is around 4 inches long. It got sick earlier but not like this. It hasn't eaten from 4 days and is lying upside-down. The flowerhorn got up when I turn the aquarium lights on. But is lying down all the time. It tried to swim but couldn't do it well. Maybe its his/her fin. I have taken few photos (attached below) . Maybe someone knows what is the problem with my flowerhorn.

I will appreciate any help to save my flowerhorn.

flowerhorn-1a.jpg

flowerhorn-1b.jpg

flowerhorn-1c.jpg

flowerhorn-2a.jpg

flowerhorn-3a.jpg

flowerhorn-3b.jpg

Last edited:

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
water parameters? Temp? diet? meds used? need a ton of info first.

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
Water was completely cleaned 5 days back. Flowerhorn was shifted to pot for sometime durinf water change. At that time also flowerhorn stopped eating, only two three spirulina flakes. Kept one tablespoon salt few hours back. Water temperature around 28 degree Celsius as the heater automatically stops after the said temperature is reached.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ok but what are your parameters? Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. numbers please.

Also is there any aeration in the tank? airstone? surface agitation from a filter?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That i don't know as i don't have instrument to check it.
ya Id start by doing 25% water changes daily, get more O2 into the tank, and also I'd get some seachem prime if its available to you and dose the tank. keep using salt in the tank, and if you have methylene blue available it may not hurt to give him a dip bath with it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you need to get a liquid test kit as well. everyone on here, yourself included, now have no idea if maybe its the water parameters that are causing the odd behavior. Always good to have a test kit on hand.

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
Yes breathing heavily. Blue chemical is added when water is changed and in that day no food is given.

Can I add the blue chemical in the tank now.

O2 means oxygen. Right?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
the methylene blue can be added to the tank, yes. If you want you can fill a bucket or smaller tank and use 2x the dosage of methylene blue and give the flowerhorn a dip bath in it. Yes O2 means oxygen. If hes breathing heavy and without knowing anything else I'm going to say your tank is either crashed or there isnt enough dissolved oxygen in the water. Follow the steps I laid out and see if he doesnt improve a little. The methylene blue will help him with respiration as will the salt. It will also help against any bacterial or fungal infections but right now I am still convinced its a water quality issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store