Flowerhorn lying down? Seems sick!

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
I had a person from fish shop visit my house and check out the flowerhorn.

He removed around 75% of water, added lots of salt but removed them once the water was 75% out. He then added fresh water but put to 75% of tank volume and added a stress relief liquid medicine in the water and along with bactonil-fw (http://www.aquaremedies.com/freshwatermedicartions.html) and asked me to repeat the same "stress-relief + bactonil-fw) two more times after 8 hours each. And do not feed and do not change water till 8 hours x 3 (times medicine) = 24 hours. Also, heater was off, the plug was loose so he fixed it tight (I was also curious if it was working earlier but didn't know how to check as it turns off when water is 28-30 degree celsius). Also, turned off the filter saying that it will intake the medicine and asked not to add blue chemical (he didn't added that too) and not to add salt.

He said following are the problems with flowerhorn health.

1. Stomach problem - for which one can give medicine in water or if serious take out the fish and add medicine in the mouth as shown in the video above.

2. Fin rot - Fin starts to rot due to fungus

3. Eye pop-out - Eye gets swelling and pops-out

4. Hole in head

5. But, the problem that he saw with my flowerhorn was "swelling at the root of the front fin". A swelling of red-color ball (not exactly ball) at the root of the fin which is attached with the fish body. The fin that are around gills. So, he advised to add bactonil-fw for it which is yellow in color and to repeat it two more times every 8 hours.

He also said that once flowerhorn shows such kind of symptoms its hard to recover it. I wanted to know if someone knows about the problem no. 5 and if the medicine he suggested is okay.

Last edited:

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Wow. I wish you the best, nice to know someone doing everything possible to get that guy well !! Good luck. Sorry I can not help you with your questions.

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
I got a new heater replaced as the old one was not working but was showing light indicator when it was turned on. So got confused.

However I still have a doubt regarding new heater. The best one that is available with fish guy was a Chinese brand. Not seal pack.

Thought light turns on and off. But even after two hours now I don't see water getting hot. So I have a very important question.

Can I check water temperature with mercury thermometer that we use to check fever?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store