Flowerhorn lying down? Seems sick!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
methylene blue plays havoc on your beneficial bacteria colony, as well as plants and inverts so using it in the main tank can still be detrimental in the long run especially when we don't know the actual problem.

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
We have been adding blue chemical only after changing 50% of water. We tend to change the water every two week.

I wanted to know how much mythelene blue should be added in 20 litre bucket and for how long should I keep the flowerhorn in it as bucket won't be having filter, heater etc.

I also have a doubt if some instruments are not working in fish tank. Filter, heater etc.

Last edited:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
It does seem suspicious after a water change, your fish started showing symptoms. Possible you received "bad water", periodically water treatments faculties will flush lines with various additives; high chloramine counts and ph swings can occur. Occasionally people just forget to DE chlorinate their water and serious issues can arise.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
First sorry to hear your pet is sick. Did you change out any bio balls, sponges or any filter media? If you did that is the problem. You shouldn't do it with a water change or change all the filter media at the same time.
If you DIDN'T do this I would think its internal and I would treat it with antibacterial/ick medicine.
Check this out you might find this helpful

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
Filter media was changed wbich is being kept inside aquarium but flowerhorn was acting wierd before that too.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yes, there are what are called denitrifying bacteria that accumulate in our filters/tanks that break down ammonia/nitrite into less harmful nitrate....Research "cycling a fish tank" and should be able to find details, it is very important. I would be doing 20% daily water changes for at least a few weeks until your tank recycles.

himagarwal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2015
How much blue chemical should be added in 20 litre bucket and for how long i have to keep flowerhorn in it.
the methylene blue can be added to the tank, yes. If you want you can fill a bucket or smaller tank and use 2x the dosage of methylene blue and give the flowerhorn a dip bath in it. Yes O2 means oxygen. If hes breathing heavy and without knowing anything else I'm going to say your tank is either crashed or there isnt enough dissolved oxygen in the water. Follow the steps I laid out and see if he doesnt improve a little. The methylene blue will help him with respiration as will the salt. It will also help against any bacterial or fungal infections but right now I am still convinced its a water quality issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store