FRESHWATER STONE FISH!

Tommy_volter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2008
brisbane
forgot to add, the bloke at one of the fish shops near me got himself on the hand trying to bag one and he said it was near unbearable for a week

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
My LFS sells them for 27$ and they are reported to grunt. they had theirs in brackish but have successfully converted them over to pure fresh. they sold one last week, i want to buy the one they have left. they are so cool!!!!!!!!!!! the lfs owner says they eat five full size feeder guppies in one sitting and eats three times a week, my oscar can only eat five full size gups in a month!!!!!!!!!!!! he is still a baby btw. they are the coolest fish ever

ConvictFish

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2010
Texas
Had mine for about a year till tank cracked had to sell all fish.-Mine went fine with my south african cichlids diddent eat them and got rather well along with my plecos everynight i'd find all 3 of them with him he also was eating a cichlid diet with crickets and blood worms with beef hearts ever so often.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
A store near me has a 6" Toadfish in a tank with about 7 very small Oscars. The store doesn't even know what it is. I had to tell them. They didn't know what it was and yet they are asking $25 for it. I guess that's a good price if you're looking for one this size. I would buy it but I don't have the space for a single specimen tank for a fish that get's 12". And I can't risk putting it in my Festae tank. If it ate one of them I would be livid! But from you guys that care for them, are they worth it? Am I passing on a really good fish? I just don't want to set up a tank for a fish that I would probably never see.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
My fish is absolutly cool! I feed it 1-2 nite crawlers equal its length (7") every three to four days. I have it in with about 30 Africans of different tempermants (6"on avg.), one very grumpy 13" oscar, a 6" botia loach and a 13" sailfin and a 10"plec. They all have at one time or another messed with the stoner but as soon as it grunts they all scatter.
My fish all live well and have for years in freshwater at 7.8-8ph and a tablespoon of salt per 5g...not brackish but maybe thats why my stonefish is thriving...cool fish.

zombie_fish

Feeder Fish
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I have had one of these guys for about 9 months now. I do not see him often, but I have had a lot of luck with him. I have him in pure fresh water, with sand substrate, and he is just fine. He does growl a bit when my fire eel goes in his house. I find these stone fish quite fascinating.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
My lfs seems to sell all fish cheaper than others. I'm in albany ny and I can get the stone fish for $9.99, and wolf fish for $14.99. Got my clown knife for 8.99, and i just got a jardini aro for 29.99 on a deal with the store owner. Waiting for them to get another stone fish

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
well i owned one so i'll try to clear things up a bit
-they are not poisonous ( i felt mines spines)
-they do grunt he did that when i transfered him to a diff tank
-they're ment for brackish
-i got mine for $1.99 at like 4 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store