FW Sting Ray in Texas???????????

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Er...The Atlantic is warmer than the Pacific (along the US) due to the Gulf Stream. The Pacific (along the US) receives the Arctic Flow. The Atlantic ray occurs in the St John where hot springs keep the water around 72F. Spring, summer, and fall temps can average 78F.
That price is a 'normal' retail price.
Here's some more info on the Atlantic ray:

The Atlantic Stingray (Dasyatis sabina)
The Atlantic Stingray is a common North American fish found along the Gulf of Mexico and south-eastern Atlantic coasts, ranging as far north as the Chesapeake Bay, and as far south as Central America. It belongs to a sub-class of cartilaginous fish known as the elasmobranchs, which includes all species of sharks, skates, and rays. Stingrays are grouped under the Order Myliobatiformes. The Atlantic Stingray is a member of the Family Dasyatidae, commonly known as the "whip-tailed" rays. Species in this family have relatively slender "whip"-like tails armed with a venomous barb. The barb or spine is used for defense and can inflict a serious wound on humans if accidentally stepped on.

An interesting aspect of the Atlantic Stingray's biology is its ability to handle variations in environmental salinity. In general, elasmobranchs are considered to be stenohaline (salinity restricted) marine species; less than 5% of all elasmobranch species have been found in fresh water. The Atlantic Stingray, however, is a glaring exception. It is often found in estuaries and far up rivers during the warm, summer months. The populations that I am interested in have gone to the extreme by living year round and reproducing in freshwater lakes of the St. Johns River, FL. Although an extensive tag and release program has not been conducted, it is unlikely that these animals are making consistent migrations back and forth between marine and freshwater environments.

Even though it is not likely that the freshwater stingray populations in the St. Johns River migrate to the ocean, they have not lost the physiological ability to do so. I have conducted experiments that demonstrate freshwater D. sabina from Lake Jesup can acclimate to sea water (30 ppt salinity). They are able to do this because even in fresh water their kidneys reabsorb urea. Unlike the stenohaline freshwater South American Stingrays of the family Potamotrygonidae, D. sabina still has the neprhon segment associated with urea retention. So, in essence these animals are "primed" for return to salt water by reabsorbing more urea when faced with a salinity increase.

This urea retention, however, does have some tradeoffs. In fresh water, the stingrays still retain about 50% of their urea leading to a total osmotic pressure that is 15 times greater than their environment. So these animals face a very large osmotic uptake of water. To compensate for the influx of water, these stingrays have a considerable urine flow rate which is almost 10 times higher than those found in marine individuals.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
General Facts About the Atlantic Stingray (Dasyatis sabina)

Prepared by Nicole Reid

Kingdom: Animal
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Chondricthyes
Subclass: Elasmobrachii
Order: Myliobatiformes
Family: Dasyatidae
Genus: Dasyatis
Species: sabina

Physical Description

Þ Adult body size 25-35 cm disc width, females usually larger.

Þ Disc rhomboid in shape, snout projecting as a broad-based triangle with pointed tip

Þ Brown or yellowish brown above, paler towards margin of disc

Þ Male claspers, with simple tips

Geographic Distribution

Þ USA, from Chesapeake Bay to Florida and along the Gulf of Mexico coast to central America.

Þ Depth range from intertidal zone to 20m (66 ft)

Þ Most common in shallow coastal areas

Habitat Preference

Þ Muddy, sandy bottom

Þ Bury themselves in the sand (camouflage)

Food and Foraging Habitat

Þ Feeds on surface, infaunal, and tube dwelling species, including tube anemones,

Polycheate worms, small crustaceans (amphipods mole crabs, pistol shrimp), clams

and serpent stars

Þ Bottom dwellers, mouth is located on the ventral side

Þ Face into current while feeding, current carries the sediment away from mouth

Courtship and Reproductive Biology

Þ Ovoviviparity (form of live bearing)

Þ Males? claspers near cloaca and the end region of the claspers (glans) contain tiny structures hooks, spines that open during copulation maintaining contact within the female (holding) and transferring semen.

Þ Males often initially follows the female snout close to her cloaca with some degree of nibbing and biting of the female disc

Þ Breeding period: October-March

Þ Litter size: 1-4, usually 2-3

Þ Gives birth in mid to late summer in Florida

Þ Gestation period: April-August

Defense Mechanism

Þ Stinging spines, modified dorsal fin structure that tapers to a sharp point edges are serrated

Þ Once driven into a victim sting remains. Venom is produced along two narrow grooves

Florida Connection

Þ St. John River has the only freshwater population in North America of any elasmobranches

Communication

Þ Pheromones

Conservation Status

Þ None

REFERENCES

Biglow, H.B. and William C. Schroeder. Fishes of the Western North Atlantic Part two.

Sears Foundation for Marine Research,Yale University. 1953.

Micheal S.W. Reef Sharks and Rays of the World. Sea Challengers. Petaluma, Ca. 1993.

Tricas, T.C. et al. The Nature Company Guides Sharks and Rays. Weldon Owen. San Francisco, Ca. 1997.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Wow thanks for the info. My confusion above was that when I think of Atlantic I think of the upper east coast and thats what brought m eto the notion of cold water. Thanks again for the info.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Like California, Texas only regulates the South American FW stingray species in the family Potamotrygonidae. Stingrays from the FW, BW, and SW family Dasyatidae are not regulated under Texas (or California) law. I've seen the rather fragile Himantura species (FW whip rays) sold legally in CA, because they're Dasyatid and not Potamotrygonid rays. Ask Wes, he had some H. oxyrhyncha in southern CA a few years ago.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Oddball said:
This urea retention, however, does have some tradeoffs. In fresh water, the stingrays still retain about 50% of their urea leading to a total osmotic pressure that is 15 times greater than their environment. So these animals face a very large osmotic uptake of water. To compensate for the influx of water, these stingrays have a considerable urine flow rate which is almost 10 times higher than those found in marine individuals.
If you decide to go with these rays, keep in mind the ]V[onster filtration system you'll need to keep these rays healthy. They're urea output is 10 times that of a SA river ray's. Their water intake is also higher. The water needs to be pristine to manage the bare essentials of these rays. So, an already established tank/system needs to be running just to receive these rays. Frequent water changes will also be part of their normal maintenance requirements. Running a protein skimmer for added aeration and waste gas exchange would also be a good idea. And, of course, the incorporation of live plants to the system will aid in processing all that urea. I've found that rays will ignore large onion plant (they seem to like tearing up everything else I've planted in their tanks).

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Thaks for all the info, but despite this new knowledge Im going to pass on that species because of the info that you have given. Thanks all. Im just not setup with that kind of filtration to accomodate one more heavy load.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
Way to be man. I respect you cuz you know your limits.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Good choice. And just because it's not a Potamotrygon spp, doesn't mean it's legal. Yes, Tx banned all South American freshwater rays and this doesn't fall under that. HOWEVER, Texas also has a law banning captivity of native animals, which this falls under.

So, not a freshwater ray, but still illegal.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
The guys at Dallas North ie the lfs on Trinity Mills aren't always the brightest and they are way way way overpriced. Just a heads up, haven't been out there in a while but my boss told me that it burned down yesterday...so that opportunity woulda passed by now... ~Trent

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store