Geophagus Lionhead?

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
I found a little vendor around here that has some fish labeled as "geophagus lionhead", but haven't been able to find any information on them online. Could this just be a nickname for one? I don't know much about geos... here's the pic.

lionhead geo.jpg

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
I think it's a nickname.. I bought mine as Geophagus steindachneri. Usually the nickname is geophagus red hump
This one is a true red hump, in your other thread I think it may not be a red hump.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
I edit my post but the other one probably is still a red hump(Well it does have a red hump :p), the face just looks different. This one is for sure a red hump. They shouldn't be too rare, my LFS always has more 7.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
If you introduce new tank mates make sure there's no aggression. I did this and it always ended up hiding and never shifted the sand anymore. These guys are strictly nonaggression tanks.

I also think they school if you have a big group? Maybe someone else would know for sure.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Are you looking for a geophagus tank? There's a lot more colorful geophagus out there. They're more expensive though. I would assume that their geophagus that they wouldn't be aggressive either.

You could get some more red humps, then get some other geophagus with more color if you want color. Or a non-aggressive cichlid?
It depends on what you're looking for.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
I don't know any specifically.. But I've seen a few colorful ones at my lfs that I wanted to get. There are orangeheads (there's a topic going on now about fry) that look interesting and have a little more color.
You really just have to play it by what you see at the lfs and buy whats interesting to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store