Gold JAck Dempsey

Blankmanrl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
South carolina
cichlidfish;4116532; said:
Stunning gold JD. If you bred the gold w/ EBJD would it be the same 50% as with the reg JD? I breed swordtails and I have found that I can get certain color combos with certain colored parents. For example if I breed pine apple w/ orange. I get half the orange color and half the pine apple colored fry. I am selectively breeding these combos. I am interested to see what happens if I breed the same orange/pineapple with each other.
Oh yea that is a very nice gold dempsey.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Blankmanrl;4117551; said:
I actually have one of those gold/ebjd's. I have had it for about a week now and it looks good. You can tell the difference in the EBJD and the Gold/EBJD it is a very nice looking fish. I cant wait for it to get bigger.
Do you have pics? I bet they look great.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Blankmanrl;4115110; said:
I was wondering where did they gold colour come from on the GJD's???
Gold Dempseys are Leucistic... Leucism is a condition characterized by reduced pigmentation.

Is it just a colour morph like the EBJD's???
Yup...

Is this Gold found out in the wild unlike the EBJD's???
It is "naturally occuring", meaning it is a genetic mutation that happened on it's own without human manipulation...

Once a Leucistic (Gold) individual was obtained by a hobbyist/breeder... They were logically paired off with other specimen to produce more Leucistic (Gold) fish. This is nothing more than "line breeding" or "selective breeding", not any kind of hybridization or genetic manipulation.

TrikkyMakk;4115220; said:
I am not 100% sure that the EBJD is a morph. I thought I have heard people say it actually occurs naturally. As far as the Gold, it may be the same thing.
Blue Dempseys, just like Leucistic Dempseys/fish/animals, just like albino fish/animals, just like tens upon thousands of naturally occuring thoroughly researched and documented traits... all follow Mendelian Genetics...

It is very well known that when we hybridize two species of fish... some offspring will look like the father species, some will look like the mother species, and there will be a very very wide variety of blends of the two...

It is very well known that this is NOT the case with Blue, nor Gold Dempseys.

It is very well known that Blue and Gold Dempseys both follow the exact pattern that Mendelian Genetics predicts, which is the absolute most common form of passing genetic traits within a species.

auratum;4115436; said:
I still struggle with whether to call them gold or pink as they have both gold and pink in their bodies.
I would encourage you to refer to them as Leucistic to help promote accuracy in our termonology... "Common names" so often interfears with proper understandings...

auratum;4116473; said:
Here is a picture of my largest male. He is about 8" TL.
He is one handsome devil...

Blankmanrl;4117551; said:
I actually have one of those gold/ebjd's. I have had it for about a week now and it looks good. You can tell the difference in the EBJD and the Gold/EBJD it is a very nice looking fish. I cant wait for it to get bigger.
I'm thoroughly convinced that a single specimen cannot be both Blue & Gold... I elaborated on the science behind my belief in your thread about your fish...

Although absolutely no offense to you nor your fish... nor it's breeder. I just think it's going to blossom into a typcial Blue Dempsey... which is an awesome fish!

I don't mean to sound like a "know it all"... I've just put a lot of time/energy researching this topic over a number of years and wanted to share what I've learned...

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
nc_nutcase;4121095; said:
I would encourage you to refer to them as Leucistic to help promote accuracy in our termonology... "Common names" so often interfears with proper understandings...
We need to be careful with any label we give them. I don't agree that "Gold JD's" should be labeled "leucistic". Each mutation can be very different. You are assuming that what you have read about "leucism" is exactly what is going on in "Gold JD's". The only thing I see that is different is a reduced amount of the dark brown color (melanin). I have seen lighter brown pigmentation expressed with mood as well as yellow/gold, pink/red, and the blue/green spotting that is typical of normal JD's. From your definition of leucistic, it sounds like you don't believe they can express most colors, but the only color I see reduced is the dark brown color.

We can't assume a gene mutation in one animal is the exact same as another mutation in a completely different animal. The Mendelian genetics apply, but the limitations on what colors are or are not present is dependent on the specific mutation to that specimen.

As I posted in the other thread also - time will tell if 74Ray has successfully combined the two color forms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store