Gold JAck Dempsey

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Keep in mind "Leucism" is not a genetic mutation...

"Leucism" is a description of the result of some genetic mutations...

There are any number of genetic mutations that can result in "a reduction of pigmentation"... and a visual observation can conclude this without specifying what genetic mutation has taken place...

Sort of like, if your computer won't turn on... that is not enough detail to conclude what the exact problem is nor where the exact problem lies... but it is enough to conclude the computer won't turn on...

Like wise we are observing a reduction in pigment related coloration... this is not enough detail to suggest what gene is mutated nor where in the genetic structure it lies... but it is enough to conclude there is a reduction in pigment related coloration...

And we call animals with a reduction in pigment related coloration, Leucistic...

The refractive coloration including the blue blotches on the gill plates of females is not pigment related coloration. It is the result of light refractive cells. These are unrelated to pigment...

There are a plenty of examples of "Gold Dempseys" that have light brown/tan coloration, which is the result of pigmentation. But this is quite obviously "reduced" in comparison to a standard Dempsey, thus easily falling under the description of Leucistic.

Albinos have pink eyes, even though they do not possess the ability to produce pink/red. The eyes appear pink not from pigment, but from light penetrating the eyes and reflecting/refracting off of the blood vessels within the eyes. I would suggest the subtle pink undertones in the body of "Gold Dempseys" are of a similar result.

There are those who would suggest they are Xanthanic, meaning they have an abundance of yellow. But this does not in any way explain the lack of several other colors.

While we can observe some light or subtle coloration in Gold Dempseys... I've yet to see any specimen that could not easily be described as "reduced" in pigment related coloration...

R3BURFF

Feeder Fish
Oct 10, 2012
Indianapolis
Fish 1.jpg Trying to revive a dead thread here, Do you guys believe that this guy i have is a gold jack? I bought him as a yellow texas. Yet all the research i have done i cant find any information about yellow texas, Also a little curious about his split tail, Do you think he may have been beaten up on? Thanks in advance...

Fish 1.jpg

Fishbrains

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
Colorado
dont think there is any such thing as a yellow texas. don't want to weigh in on what your fish is cuz frankly I don't know ch*t about JD's but it sort of looks like it might be.

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
View attachment 866312 Trying to revive a dead thread here, Do you guys believe that this guy i have is a gold jack? I bought him as a yellow texas. Yet all the research i have done i cant find any information about yellow texas, Also a little curious about his split tail, Do you think he may have been beaten up on? Thanks in advance...
I don't think this is a gold JD at all. Looks like a texas hybrid to me. Low quality red texas maybe?

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
I'm thoroughly convinced that a single specimen cannot be both Blue & Gold... I elaborated on the science behind my belief in your thread about your fish...

Although absolutely no offense to you nor your fish... nor it's breeder. I just think it's going to blossom into a typcial Blue Dempsey... which is an awesome fish!

I don't mean to sound like a "know it all"... I've just put a lot of time/energy researching this topic over a number of years and wanted to share what I've learned...
Could you then explain to me what the fish in the links are? The first is a JD, the second is being called a gold face ram. You can clearly see both genes being expressed in both pics, blue overlaying gold. Best seen in the ram admittedly, but the JD pictured is definitely not an electric blue (not even a powder blue), nor is it a gold.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=743982&d=1328599064
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz147/cichlidexchange/MikrogeophagusramireziGoldfaceElectricBlue

I know this is somewhat apples to oranges, but in the ball python world there are several recessive genes that can be combined & (visibly) expressed in one animal. The ghost/hypo mutation is a perfect example, as is orange dream, as is piebald, as is albino. All recessive, and all can be combined (and visibly express) in one animal. Why is it so impossible for this to happen in JDs?

auratum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Michigan
Could you then explain to me what the fish in the links are? The first is a JD, the second is being called a gold face ram. You can clearly see both genes being expressed in both pics, blue overlaying gold. Best seen in the ram admittedly, but the JD pictured is definitely not an electric blue (not even a powder blue), nor is it a gold.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=743982&d=1328599064
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz147/cichlidexchange/MikrogeophagusramireziGoldfaceElectricBlue

I know this is somewhat apples to oranges, but in the ball python world there are several recessive genes that can be combined & (visibly) expressed in one animal. The ghost/hypo mutation is a perfect example, as is orange dream, as is piebald, as is albino. All recessive, and all can be combined (and visibly express) in one animal. Why is it so impossible for this to happen in JDs?
The JD picture is of the fish stated is impossible. It carries both Gold & EB traits. That is what they look like. It has been proven this is possible. This is an old thread talking about it before it had been proven. These fish are sold under a number of different names because there is no standard. I have seen them refered to as Gold/Blue, Green, Platinum, and now gold face ram...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store