Green Terror in 55-Gallon

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Wait I can livebearers with convicts and a bichir? 😱 I've been wanting to get livebearers so badly! I just thought they would be food for my other fish.
I have a few different species of goodeids, xenotoca lyonsi is one that I know can fend for itself against the likes of convicts etc. Typically I keep them in cold-water but occasionally if I got too many I keep them with medium sized cichlids. Kind of funny they do nip at the convicts but I personally wouldn't house with any Bichir as they can pick at slow moving fish such as their eyes or fins. Might get snacked on too if it annoys the Bichir.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Don't get just one Pictus cat. Drop them from your list unless you are ready for at least six or more of them. They are simular to Tetras as in they like to be in groups of the same. Yes, can and has been kept as singles, but when kept in groups their real personality/activities comes thru and is more fun and exciting than a solo cat hiding all day.

Reactions: coltiger1975

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Don't get just one Pictus cat. Drop them from your list unless you are ready for at least six or more of them. They are simular to Tetras as in they like to be in groups of the same. Yes, can and has been kept as singles, but when kept in groups their real personality/activities comes thru and is more fun and exciting than a solo cat hiding all day.
I already have the pictus, and I will leave him alone. Yes, they do well in schools, but that is only when they are young. My pictus has plenty of personality and while he does hide a lot (like all catfish), he definitely is more active than most of my fish. Plus, he's been alone for so long: especially in my tank. I don't think he would do well with more of his kind as they would be "encroaching" on his territory.

Reactions: Jexnell

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I've thought about everyone's responses and I think I've finally come up with the setup I like the best: 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Convict, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Pictus, and 1 Bichir (preferably Platinum. I know,I know. People say they have health problems and whatnot but I love them, especially compared to the "normal" ones. Plus don't they get smaller than the other ones? Or is that only Albino bichirs?).

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Platinums grow to the full size, it’s albinos that stay smaller. And how about this sab, if you’re set on the parrot then get all the other fish first, let them grow into adults, see how the tank is doing, and then if your parameters and fish are good then you can look into getting a parrot?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Platinums grow to the full size, it’s albinos that stay smaller. And how about this sab, if you’re set on the parrot then get all the other fish first, let them grow into adults, see how the tank is doing, and then if your parameters and fish are good then you can look into getting a parrot?
+1
Always good to have open space and decide on something to fill it later down the line than starting with a full tank and realizing you made a mistake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store