Green terrors

Gershom

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2024
Jexnell made a good observation about the female’s belly. She is fat, and close inspection shows a breeding tube.

Gershom

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2024
Dark female spawning colors are common in Andinoacara species, nothing to do with stress.
That’s good to know. I read a scientific article about distinguishing H carpintis from H cyanoguttatus in non-native locations in Texas and Louisiana. It mentioned very dark belly and caudal area during spawning. My memory is failing, but I think it was in the carpintis, and was the same for both sexes.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Definitely a pair . You can see that is a female with the darker colour a mile off. The ovipositor is clearly visible and females do tend to get darker with the onset of spawning. They are also plenty big enough to breed.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Agree with previous posters, this is a small pair forming. In the past I have had them spawn at very little over 2" not exactly what you want to see when trying to grow some out. I once had a small group of nine split off into three pairs and the remaining 3 I moved out into a 125 until the weekend (when I was trading them back to the store I purchased them from) only for another pair to spawn in the small aquarium within the four days. Gave up on the idea and folded rather quickly on this attempt and got a few 8" imported for the 180.

Gershom

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2024
[QUOTE="RedRaven, post: 8559471, member: 158996"
I once had a small group of nine split off into three pairs and the remaining 3 I moved out into a 125 until the weekend (when I was trading them back to the store I purchased them from) only for another pair to spawn in the small aquarium within the four days.
[/QUOTE]

Wow—sounds like they are nearly as easy to spawn as blue-eyed plecos….

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Oh yeah identical, few drops of water and fish off we go lol. Jokes aside Most cichlids are rather fast getting to business if provided with a home meeting their needs and sometimes completely unsuitable conditions as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store