Guianacara Stergiosi

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
i still really like these guys, now my question is, what is the difference between these and my Guianacara sp. cf Rio Caroni? Anything special for these species? I have a group of 6 of the Rio Caroni.
Nick

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
marinum;4311299; said:
wow fantasic fishes! which is their origin?
Thanks

rtague;4314296; said:
Awesome group shot Dave,beautiful fish .
Thank you Ray.

honda237;4314479; said:
i still really like these guys, now my question is, what is the difference between these and my Guianacara sp. cf Rio Caroni? Anything special for these species? I have a group of 6 of the Rio Caroni.
Nick
The biggest difference between most guianacara from my understanding is the mid-lateral spot. I originally did not know what kind of guianacara these were, but a couple fellas here helped me id them. I know Peter keeps the rio caroni guianacara, maybe he can explain the difference between these 2.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
gotcha, they don't look to much different. ya i got mine from peter/ken. THey are very cool little guys, very big pigs though.

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
Cute as a bug's ear. Do they have a common name? Wouldn't want to accidently walk buy them in a fish store.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The name implies their origins in northern South America, and the spelling Guiana or Guyana seems to depend on what European country colonized which area.
They seem to have first arrived in the aquarium under the name G. geayi, but most are not, mine were sold as geayi, but I believe they are oweruwefi.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
The biggest difference between most guianacara from my understanding is the mid-lateral spot. I originally did not know what kind of guianacara these were, but a couple fellas here helped me id them. I know Peter keeps the rio caroni guianacara, maybe he can explain the difference between these 2.
It's a combination of the midlateral spot, midlateral line, and the black in the dorsal fin. They can be tough to tell sometimes though. G. stergiosi is the name they gave to the sp. Rio Caroni when they were described.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store