Costa Rica

A Brief Key (López-Fernández et al)

• geayi: wide bar only, no spot, no black on dorsal fin lappets

• cuyunii: thin bar, no spot, black on dorsal fin lappets

• oelemariensis: no bar, spot only below lateral line, black dorsal fin lappets

• owroewefi: wide bar, spot on and below lateral line, black dorsal fin lappets

• sphenozona: bar, spot above lateral line, bar, no black on dorsal fin lappets

• stergiosi: thin bar, spot below lateral line, black on dorsal fin lappets

Key to the species of Guianacara (Jessica H. ArbourI; Hernán López-Fernández)

1a. Two supraneurals; produced lappets on tips of anterior dorsal-fin spines; dark midlateral bar present, or a faint midlateral bar with a darker midlateral spot ............................................................................(subgenus Guianacara) 2
1b. One supraneural; no produced lappets on tips of anterior dorsal-fin spines; midlateral bar absent, midlateral spot present ............................................... ............................................Guianacara oelemariensis (subgenus Oelemaria)
2a. Midlateral bar thin, up to three scales wide at its widest point (two and a half to three scales at its widest point, always narrowing to one and a half or two scales at its thinnest point) ..............................................................................3
2b. Midlateral bar broad, at least three scales wide at its thinnest point (four scales at its widest point, sometimes narrowing to three scales) ..............................4
3a. Branchiostegal membranes whitish; infraorbital stripe continuously dark across the cheek to the interopercle in adults and juveniles ..............................G. cuyunii
3b. Branchiostegal membranes dusky; infraorbital stripe continuously dark across the cheek to the interopercle in juveniles, but faded from orbit to dorsal edge of preopercle in adults, forming a "teardrop" mark across the preopercle and interopercle ...............................................................................G. dacrya
4a. Black pigmentation of anterior three dorsal-fin spines not retained in adults ...........................................................................................................5
4b. Black pigmentation of anterior three dorsal-fin spines retained in adults ............6
5a. Midlateral bar uniform; white spots on dorsal-fin larger than darker markings surrounding them .........................................................................G. geayi
5b. Midlateral bar not uniform, midlateral spot located above the upper lateral line; white spots on dorsal-fin smaller than darker markings surrounding them ............ .........................................................................................G. sphenozona
6a. Midlateral spot small, round; midlateral bar wedge shaped (thinner ventrally than dorsally) ................................................................................G. stergiosi
6b. Midlateral spot large, oval shaped; midlateral bar not wedge shape (uniform thickness) ...........................................................................G. owroewefi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found it very difficult to determine exactly what species mine are, because they are constantly changing appearance.
Sold to me as geayi, but with the dorsal black anterior color, suggested to be owroewefi
All the fish below are from the same group and spawn.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Love these pics, I have a breeding group of 8 that I adore..glad to see some other bandit cichlid keepers on the forum

mnjl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2016
Ukraine
Love these pics, I have a breeding group of 8 that I adore..glad to see some other bandit cichlid keepers on the forum
Hello
The next Thursday I am getting delivery with ten Guianacara stergiosi (about 6-7cm).
What is the adult size of that fish ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store