Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
You may have to go with a solo of one or the other at some point! I prefer it actually...here is my Chancho, Pig, enjoying the 180 to himself.

Who knows, that Trimac of yours may end up being top dog when it's all said and done :)

View attachment 1409775
I could easily just do a solo cichlid in the 300 and be happy. I would keep my bichir and balas and keep the Petsmart mutt and be totally happy. Then my solo trimac in the 75 and the other 75 would be tough but again solo, either the pure midas with the spot, the other petsmart mutt or a Sagittae. I could rehome the rest and be happy. Of course its tough to rehome the hoga due to the rarity, same with the Sagittae, well pure midas for that matter but I kind of already have my favorites. Not saying I am doing anything that drastic just miss a peaceful, calm tank.

Reactions: Jexnell

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Sounds like you have a potential time bomb...Game of Thrones chapter one coming up. Never had a devil but I've heard endlessly about how they can suddenly 'snap' at a certain size.
Thats one scenario... lol, not the one I want

What Im hoping for is that one amp no one messes with and who keeps the others in check without having to do the beatdown on them. Ive seen it done but its just trying to find the ‘regulator’ at this point. Hoga likely not it.

Reactions: Jexnell

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Not saying I am doing anything that drastic just miss a peaceful, calm tank.
I was the same way...I just hate seeing them chasing each other around all the time - I know some folks like having a dominant fish or a hierarchy, but to me, it's not enjoyable whatsoever. We're already severely shrinking the size of their natural environments, but hey let's toss in a couple more and let them sort it out. It almost sounds like prison!

Not knocking anyones setup, I've done it myself...just expressing my take on the subject. ?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thats one scenario... lol, not the one I want

What Im hoping for is that one amp no one messes with and who keeps the others in check without having to do the beatdown on them. Ive seen it done but its just trying to find the ‘regulator’ at this point. Hoga likely not it.
It always seems to change with hyper aggressive fish. As they grow and sizes get more equal the dynamic changes. Personalities emerge. Then you may have a 'late bloomer' assassin that seems meek/timid when small. The situation with your Hoga reminds me of the line "kill it before it grows" meaning when those Midas/devils finally get fed up its gonna be on like popcorn. If you have the room I'd just set up the Hoga separately and spare yourself the anxiety of wondering if one day one of those reds just 'snaps' or worse a gang hit. OR if there's a female in there...good grief.

Hoga is a beautiful fish, tho. Love the eyes on it.

Kinda reminds me of the situation with my O and severum...never an equal fight anyway, but the O decided to bite the severum's head whole and put an end to the foolishness. Sev has been screwy ever since.

Last edited:

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Slow updates at this point. Fish are just growing without a lot to tell.

In the 300 the Hoga is still in charge and now does a little chasing of the other larger midas. Still mainly chases the large Petsmart devil but now the others are getting some size on them so apparently they are fair game.

The 75 gallon grow out is where the action is, lol. The midas are getting bigger but only one is big enough where I feel it wouldn’t get ate by the big bichirs in the 300. They are pretty calm among themselves. The problem children are the Sagittae. The largest is the calmest and so far looks to be the keeper. The other two Sagittae are little thugs. They don’t respect the pecking order and go at midas bigger than themselves.

A couple pics

Midas keeper
IMG_20200327_152238399.jpg

Sagittae keeper
IMG_20200327_152035422.jpg
IMG_20200327_152604674.jpg

Different tank but sharing another amph. The Trimac
IMG_20200327_152847120_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store