Improving Eheim Pro 3 mech filtration

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
HarleyK;2688308; said:
Howdy,

Let me just state that I believe a filter should not need any modding at all.

I think the manufacturers should be able to sell a product that works just fine right out of the box. In fact, I believe that any modding like extra pre-canister, exchange of original media etc. may cause extra wear and tear on the pumps, which I am trying to avoid.

The 2028 and 2217 have the same flow rate (272 vs 263 gph).
The 2028 hold approx. 3 gal, the 2217 holds approx. 1.7 gal.

You could buy two 2217s for the price of one 2028.

I'd get two 2217 if you really need that extra biofiltration, or a 2250 if you have that big of a tank.

On the other hand, I used to have the Pro I, the first of the series, and it was a good filter.

HarleyK
how would it cause extra wear on the pump the water is draining from the tank as normal

the flow out of each intake pipe is the same :D

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
T1, if the 2080 is so great, why does it need to be modified????? :ROFL:

You can easily split the Fx5's intake, which has twice the amount of flow as the 2080, and do exactly the same as you did. Its not very hard at all.

this lets enough bacteria into the 2080 to feed it
the filter was not getting enough bacteria
Me make a fool of my self? I state facts, you come up with BS like the two comments I just quoted. :ROFL: Please don't talk......

the flow out of each intake pipe is the same
Really.... Have you measured the actual flow? How can the flow through both intakes at the connection point to the filter be the same if one tube has to travel through a filter which add resistance while the other goes directly to the filter. You have no concept of Fluid Dynamics at all!! :ROFL:

Btw, just to school you, ammonia will feed the bacteria in the filter. So adding another pre filter, is not going to limit the ammonia levels enough to drop your bacteria levels to zero. Unless you are using your prefilter as a bio filter which would be stupid. Don't count on the filter "sucking up" bacteria to perform nitrification. It does not work like that.

how would it cause extra wear on the pump the water is draining from the tank as normal
How is it normal if your running a pre filter? You acting like this prefilter has no counter-actions to the fluid flow.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
esse;2687290; said:
the trick is to sit the pond filter higher than the head of the 2080 allowing water to flow at the normal rate
This is no trick, because it does not matter where you position the pond filter. All that matter is the water level of the tank. That's basic highschool physics.

T1KARMANN;2688333; said:

the flow out of each intake pipe is the same :D
There is no doubt that a massive pond filter with media adds resistance to the flow. This resistance has to be overcome by the pump.

You can do what you want with your filter, just don't complain later-on. You play, you pay.;)

HarleyK

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
This is no trick, because it does not matter where you position the pond filter. All that matter is the water level of the tank. That's basic highschool physics.
Correct. The head pressures from the tank will force the water through the filter when the pump is turned on.

The pumps on canisters are low head pumps. They require the use of the suction head to be the same or more to acheive the proper flow.

There is no doubt that a massive pond filter with media adds resistance to the flow. This resistance has to be overcome by the pump.
Well considering the pre filter is probuble large in cross section surface area, im sure there is not so much of a drop in pressure on the output side of the pond filter (ex. pump creating a larger vacuum due to a large restriction) to make the pump work harder. BUT, we will never know untill its tested. I agree with what you said.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Long live the 22's !

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
it doesn't need the mod

you don't get any resistance as you have 2 intakes

buy placing the pond filter higher than the head its like adding a in line connection

if the filter is below the head it slows down flow TRYED IT SORRY

i thought it was all about trying things and telling people the results mmmmmm have you had your modded FX5 running for 2.5 years

its just a option something else the FX5 CANT do

i was running a 2228 and a 2229 this way before the 2080 came onto the market

i all ready had the pond filters so just carried on using them AND FOUND THIS METHOD WORKED BETTER DUE TO THE USE OF 2 INTAKE

all this ramming filter pads hear and their do you really think that with all the money eheim put into producing a filter they would make the same mistakes as fluwho did with the FX5

I 5 x the amount of sponge media running on my system than a FX5 can have

so no matter how many mods you make on your FX5 it can NEVER have more than a MODDED 2080

WHAT EVER YOU DO TO A fx5 I JUST NEED TO GO A BUY A LARGER POND FILTER JOB DONE

like i said i have been running my 2080s like this for 2.5yrs with no problems

i would say my fish stock levels are higher than average

i don't have any floating bits in my tank maybe you need someone to come around and set it up properly for you :D

end of the FX5 cant win :D

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
you don't get any resistance as you have 2 intakes
I am not talking about the resistance in suction side as a whole, only in that one hose. Yes there will be some sort of resistance.

its just a option something else the FX5 CANT do
The Fx5 can't do what? Are you REALLY trying to tell us that you can not add a pressurized pond filter to the intake of the fx5? I really hope you are not trying to say this because its so wrong I don't even know where to start telling you why.

if the filter is below the head it slows down flow TRYED IT SORRY
mmm, resistance in flow.

so no matter how many mods you make on your FX5 it can NEVER have more than a MODDED 2080
Oh my god. Are you kidding me? The Fx5 has way more sponge area than the 2080 so adding the same pond filter you have to an fx5, will mean the Fx5 setup has more sponge area than yours. Also, a modded Fx5 can hold 400 cubic inch of sponge media and 12 liters of bio media. How much mechanical media does the 2080 have? Less than 90 cubic inches an 12 liters of bio media..

Where does the Modded 2080 over rank the Modded Fx5 again? Can you show me?

WHAT EVER YOU DO TO A fx5 I JUST NEED TO GO A BUY A LARGER POND FILTER JOB DONE
First, work on your english. It sucks really bad. Second, you go buy your additional pond filter to keep up with the Fx5 and we can buy a pond filter to beat your 2080. lol. We can keep going round and round. Sorry, the 2080 is just not the best filter out there and member reports have shown. Just because a company spends a ton of money on something, doesn't mean its going to be better.

End of the 2080 can't win :)

I am ending my interest in your conversations to save this thread from the BS you post 90% of the time.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Okay, this derails a bit too much...

Thanks for reading my thread. Feel free to post pics of your own filter, be it 2080 or FX5 or whatever, and start your own thread. If you think yours is so superior, I think you should share it with pictures and details and not just words. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested.

This is all I have to say at the moment, and I think it's best to close.

HarleyK

michalm

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
MA
please delete this post

matthewbrian316

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
Southern California
cchhcc;2287441; said:
No, no......... All the waste is prefiltered in the 2080. There is a sponge layer when the water enters at the top. Then it flows down into the bio-media and back up for the final polish before being returned to the tank.

The 2080 is not designed like the other Eheims. The addition of the prefilter is a big bonus to this filter.
true that lolz i have a 2060 and a 2080 and the prefilter is really a plus on this can filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store