Improving Eheim Pro 3 mech filtration

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
nice i think ima do that on my pro II 2028. but on my bottom tray it will by the stock ceramic rings with sub pro mix into it. second tray filled with sub pro and the top tray with some sub pro but mostly filled with quilt batting...

good idea?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
btw is my two eheim pro II 2028 good enough filtration for the stock i have in my 100 gal tank. i might remove my balas to reduce the bio load. so help :D

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
This really surprises me a lot. I heard so many good things about 2080 and how it never needs modifying and then...it needs a little mod to help it perform better. haha. Makes a Modified Fx5 look like a champ!

For a good mechanical filter, you need to notice a few things. I search for these;
1) Large cross section surface area
2) Depth of mech filtration
(you need the depth to really catch depris. To thin of a non packed later and lots of stuff can flow right through.)
3) Stepped filtration

How thick are the mechanical sponges that come with the 2080?

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
No big surprizes here----you just took a filter and matched the GPh to a tank and bio load that it could handle. It just goes to show you that it does not really matter all that much about what you use for filter media. As long as it can catch what you are trying to filter out and you have enough turn over rate to accomplish that. -------problem solved.

NSKIRK559

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
CA
In the last 4 yrs I have moved my self from a 55gal to 125gal tank. When I move my self up I realize that I would have to run a bigger pump with that tank size. I use to run the hang on filters on the back of the tank and never really had a problem. Well to cut to the chase I bought a Eheim 2078 and I was told this was a awesome pump and year and half later it still rocks. I just clean it last week and the pump was running for 7month with out being touch. I do 50% water changes every week. I run EhFiSubstratPro (max biofiltration) in all three trays and white pad on top. My water is always crystal clear and overall very impressed with Eheim product. For me to clean this pump only two time in a year man that says alot.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
It just goes to show you that it does not really matter all that much about what you use for filter media.
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree here. The type of mechanical media is something you NEED to look into when wanting to mechanically filter a tank properly.

Every tank will be different. Some won't need small particle filtration while others will. a 10 ppi sponge may do the trick while many others need 15 - 25 ppi sponge to remove other smaller particles.

NSKIRK559

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
CA
Jgray152;2682263; said:
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree here. The type of mechanical media is something you NEED to look into when wanting to mechanically filter a tank properly.

Every tank will be different. Some won't need small particle filtration while others will. a 10 ppi sponge may do the trick while many others need 15 - 25 ppi sponge to remove other smaller particles.
Each tank is Different I agree with that and that is why we are on here to share are post with each other. Some of this may help others and some of this information may have already been done. Just my 2cents:)

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
My reply was more directed toward hybridtheory.

Also, my reply was also stating that because the 2080 doesn't mechanically filter someones 125 gallon tank very good, doesn't mean it won't filter someone elses 125 gallon tank great.

Each tank will require certain media to perform the duties required. A 10-15ppi sponge is not going to get a lot of the smaller suspended particles that you can easily see. Its not that the filter is not sucking it up, its that those particles are either large ones that have been broken down into smaller pieces by turbulence through the entire filter system, or broken over the media, or just that they are to small.

This is regardless of the amount of flow. You can have 1000GPH but without the proper media, your just not going to be able to filter the suspended particles properly without the proper media.

This is the first time I have stood up for the 2080 since im such a Fx5 fan, but the truth has to come out infront of the junk at some point.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,,

hybridtheoryd16;2681961; said:
It just goes to show you that it does not really matter all that much about what you use for filter media. As long as it can catch what you are trying to filter out and you have enough turn over rate to accomplish that. -------problem solved.
The problem with the 2080 is clearly byflow of sorts, where the water passes thru cracks and thus bypasses the media unfiltered. The floaties I saw would have been held back in the filter floss had all pumped water completely passed thru it.

HarleyK

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
HarleyK;1234679; said:
You may be surprised ;)

Use of Eheim 2080 as single means of filtration:

before (insufficient mech filtration)

220 gal

Stock
  • Xiphophorus helleri (~15)
  • Trichogaster trichopterus (4)
  • Pantodon buchholzi (5)
  • Tetraodon sp. (3)
  • Ancistrus dolichopterus (2)
  • Corydoras paleatus (5)
  • and for a few months Myleus rubripinnis rubripinnis (5)
  • and before that Altolamprologus compressiceps (2)

Planted
  • Anubia nana
  • Cryptocoryne beckettii, C. ciliata, C. wendtii
  • Echinodorus barthii
  • Lemna minor
  • Lilaeopsis mauritiana
  • Pistia stratiotes
  • Vallisneria spiralis

after(perfect now)

75 gal

Stock
  • Hoplias malabaricus (1)

Planted (bare bottom)
  • Anubias barteri var nana 'Petite'
  • Anubias barteri var barteri 'Broad Leaf'
  • Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
  • Süßwassertang

HarleyK
One! fish for the bioload on a 2080! DAyummm . Best of luck with your setup coming soon. Make sure you do a write up I always enjoy reading them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store