INDY DIY GUYS

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
Spent some more time working on the fishroom. Went to Pharaohs and picked up some tanks...turns out I had 20H. So now I have 8 29s 2-20Ls and 3 20Hs. I have to cover 5 that are drilled but after that I will fill the rest. I will still need a few 20Ls 5 and one 29. Of course I plan to swap out the 20Hs over time. I need lids for all the 29/20Ls... plus 6 others that I already have. Will need to work on the 75 gallon stand, and then still need to do some stuff inside.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Mike, Pharaoh and all of the rest of you Indy Guys, I want to say this thread has been real pleasure to read. Informative, educational, comical at times and I salute all of you for all of your honed and excellently executed talents and ideas.

Just a few questions to throw out there for everyone:
I just picked up a used 130 gal glass tank and it's not seen much water in the last 3 years. The seals seem to be intact, a couple of small 1/8 to 3/16 dia. chips on two of the corner edges but no real major damage. How do you feel the seals will hold up?

Do you think if it does leak I should breal it down, completely clean the glass and rebuild? Something like you are doing to your 500, Pharaoh?

Another question is about the top and bottom plastic edging on the tanks. The ones on my used tank are looking like there's no life in them. It appears like 2 to three melted spots on the top piece where a hot pipe may have been layed on it. The Grain Pattern is 95% gone and I'd really like to redo the plastic on it (top and bottom). Is this a do-able project? If so, where would I find a sticky on it and how would I go about acquiring the plastic edging for the top and bottom, for replacements? The glass thickness is 3/8" on the ends and front and back. No idea on floor thickness.

Would really like to redo this tank completely, as it cost only $50.00 on Craigslist. No stand, hood, lights or other accessories. Just the tank alone.

Some advise here please. Thank you.

I am looking forward on all the projects completed here by all of you Indy Guys. Just a truly remarkable thread.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Pharaoh;3320055; said:
The wife hasn't noticed this one yet. This tank was supposed to just be "stored" down here, but I think it would make a better Tropheus tank.
What size is this tank you're planning on setting up for your Tropheus?
What type(s) of Tropheus are you going to stock it with?

Just curious as someone has turned me on to some Tropheus Moorii species that I want to stock in my 130 gal. tank mentioned in the earlier post above. I don't have them yet but the breeder definitely has them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
David K. Bradley;4183704; said:
Mike, Pharaoh and all of the rest of you Indy Guys, I want to say this thread has been real pleasure to read. Informative, educational, comical at times and I salute all of you for all of your honed and excellently executed talents and ideas.

Just a few questions to throw out there for everyone:
I just picked up a used 130 gal glass tank and it's not seen much water in the last 3 years. The seals seem to be intact, a couple of small 1/8 to 3/16 dia. chips on two of the corner edges but no real major damage. How do you feel the seals will hold up?

I would definitely fill the tank outside and have a good look at all the seams. You may be fine. There are a lot of tanks on this site that are quite a bit older than yours.

Do you think if it does leak I should breal it down, completely clean the glass and rebuild? Something like you are doing to your 500, Pharaoh?

This is really a jugement call on your part. While leak testing, take a good look at all the internal seams and look for air bubbles and separations. If you really don't see any, then you might be OK to just cut out the internal seal and re apply it.

Another question is about the top and bottom plastic edging on the tanks. The ones on my used tank are looking like there's no life in them. It appears like 2 to three melted spots on the top piece where a hot pipe may have been layed on it. The Grain Pattern is 95% gone and I'd really like to redo the plastic on it (top and bottom). Is this a do-able project? If so, where would I find a sticky on it and how would I go about acquiring the plastic edging for the top and bottom, for replacements? The glass thickness is 3/8" on the ends and front and back. No idea on floor thickness.

Its not too tough to replace the plastic trim on you tank. I beleive Mike did it once somewhere in this thread. All you pretty much have to do is get a razor blade knife into the the seams to break loose the silicone inside. Myself, I always seem to break the trim taking it off. So, in saying that, I suggest that you call around to a few LFS in your area. Depending ont eh make of your tank, LFS with those brands should be able to order you the trim pieces for $20-$25 each.

Would really like to redo this tank completely, as it cost only $50.00 on Craigslist. No stand, hood, lights or other accessories. Just the tank alone.

Some advise here please. Thank you.

I am looking forward on all the projects completed here by all of you Indy Guys. Just a truly remarkable thread.

Above in red.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
David K. Bradley;4183787; said:
What size is this tank you're planning on setting up for your Tropheus?
What type(s) of Tropheus are you going to stock it with?

Just curious as someone has turned me on to some Tropheus Moorii species that I want to stock in my 130 gal. tank mentioned in the earlier post above. I don't have them yet but the breeder definitely has them.
I had my Moorii Blue Rainbows in that tank. They did well, although, I probably should have had a few more in the tank. I was a little understocked. They are great fish, you just have to manage the agreession between them. Unfortunatly, I sold my blue rainbow group and the tank pictured. I decided to go a different route and am currently working on getting something going.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
mike dunagan;4174667; said:
Well I decided to change the fishroom a bit. I removed the 55 stacked and the 29 stacks and did a big rack. It would hold 21- 29s and 20Ls, but somehting is in the way so it will hold 20. I have a few fish die due to temps in the fishroom while having to be away for family issues. So had to fix that as well. Here are pics of what I have done so far... I worked all day on this...

I still need to take the 40bs out and move a 75 and going to put another 75 and do a stack where the 75s were. Then have not decided if I wanted to keep a 55 rack, or put up some 10s and save the walking space... I did a big no no... I took down two tanks and only added one.... Nice part is room for much more....

and yes I have lost some weight in this picture and the last I posted... and no not on drugs...

Hey Mike, I thought you looked a little thin here in this picture. You keep up the good work. Determination and perserverance will eventually pay off. You can do it. Great job on the 40 lb. loss.

I truly am impressed with your shelving re-design. I amanxious to get my DIY Build going but still in the R & D stage right now. Additionally, I have a question regarding the tank in the bottom left corner of this picture. I noticed there is copious amounts of water scaling on the tan glass and top plastic frame. IYO, what is the most effective way you know of, to remove this type of problem with tanks? I want to remove it off of my 130 cheapy I bought but really am puzzled on what's most effective. Please advise. Thank you.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Pharaoh;4183794; said:
Above in red.
Thanks, Pharaoh for your advice. You're a wize young man. One more question though regarding the top and bottom trim.

When I bought this tank, the guy I bought it from was going to use it and then let it just sit for 3 years and does not know who the manufacturer is. Knowing this, should I contact a LFS and see if their supplier's can get a set of trim pieces for me if I was to give them the outside dimmensions of the tank and the thickness of the tank walls?

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Pharaoh;4183800; said:
I had my Moorii Blue Rainbows in that tank. They did well, although, I probably should have had a few more in the tank. I was a little understocked. They are great fish, you just have to manage the agreession between them. Unfortunatly, I sold my blue rainbow group and the tank pictured. I decided to go a different route and am currently working on getting something going.
I was considering maybe some Kaiser II; Ilangi; Ikiola; Bemba orange flame, flame, red or orange; or Ndole Bay's.

Oddball said they're a great Tropheus to have. Have you had any experience with these?

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
zennzzo;4174812; said:
Hey LOSER!!
then what did you do to drop some pounds...My Dr says I have to drop some weight, so what is the sercret??
Hey zennzzo:

At one time I was definitely over weight by about 165 lbs. My success in loosing weight was quite simple for me. My doctor told me that eating right and PLENTY of physical exercise. It definitely did the trick. At the time I had contracted a fencing job, putting in a 5 strand barb-wire fence on 3-40 acre parcels of land for a local horse rancher. I had to set corner posts, mid line stretcher posts, intermediate "T" posts, entry gating to all 3 - 40 acre parcels and then run the 5 strands of wire around all sides of the 3 separate parcels. 2 other men and myself completed the job in 12 straight days time, working from 4 am to 2 pm. I ended dropping 108 lbs. I was 45 yrs old. I'm now 55 yrs. old, 6'5" tall and have maintained my weight at 200 lbs now, for the last 10 years, just being physically active, not obsessively though.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
David K. Bradley;4183808; said:
Hey Mike, I thought you looked a little thin here in this picture. You keep up the good work. Determination and perserverance will eventually pay off. You can do it. Great job on the 40 lb. loss.

I truly am impressed with your shelving re-design. I amanxious to get my DIY Build going but still in the R & D stage right now. Additionally, I have a question regarding the tank in the bottom left corner of this picture. I noticed there is copious amounts of water scaling on the tan glass and top plastic frame. IYO, what is the most effective way you know of, to remove this type of problem with tanks? I want to remove it off of my 130 cheapy I bought but really am puzzled on what's most effective. Please advise. Thank you.
Removing the calcium buildup generally just takes a razor blade to remove the large portions and then a 1 to 10 mixture of vinegar and water should help to remove the rest. It should scrap right off of the plastic trim with a little good old fashioned elbow grease.

David K. Bradley;4183869; said:
Thanks, Pharaoh for your advice. You're a wize young man. One more question though regarding the top and bottom trim.

When I bought this tank, the guy I bought it from was going to use it and then let it just sit for 3 years and does not know who the manufacturer is. Knowing this, should I contact a LFS and see if their supplier's can get a set of trim pieces for me if I was to give them the outside dimmensions of the tank and the thickness of the tank walls?
Sometime the measurements, glass thickness, and number of cross braces on the plastic trim can be a dead giveaway to who made the tank. Also, there is generally a label stuck to the bottom, generally underneath the trim that will list the manufacturer. This is generally viewable from the top. For example, Perfecto has a little anchor.

David K. Bradley;4183884; said:
I was considering maybe some Kaiser II; Ilangi; Ikiola; Bemba orange flame, flame, red or orange; or Ndole Bay's.

Oddball said they're a great Tropheus to have. Have you had any experience with these?
I haven't had much experience with those, but IMO, any tropheus is a great choice. Go with the ones you like the most.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store