Keeping Marine Hammerhead Shark in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
funny i was just telling my friend i wanted to convert my swimming pool to saltwater for a couple hammer heads...lol great stuff your doing :)

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
wow u have my dream job. i would love to congratualte you on what you are doing! they need looking after and by the sounds of it between you and zoodiver you could rescue the ocean lol

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Here's pics of the hammers at GA Aq (sorry, not the best shots). The aquarists there refered to them as "Scalloped", so I really didn't look that closely as they were cruising by.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
Zoodiver;2680778; said:
Here's pics of the hammers at GA Aq (sorry, not the best shots). The aquarists there refered to them as "Scalloped", so I really didn't look that closely as they were cruising by.

i have a dvd documentery on the building of the georgia aquarium and in the dvd it says the hammer heads are great hammer heads

aquatopusa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I can confirm that these are the great hammerhead. Notice the bonnets and these are very different and smaller than the scallop hammerhead. The great hammerhead are as aggressive as open water sharks. They should never be keep even with other sharks because they will eat them, eventually, leaving them as the single inhabitant of that tank. Scallops are much friendlier and can be keep with even reef fish and tangs, because they live in reef area and not in the open water until they get much bigger.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
ceeej31;2683020; said:
i have a dvd documentery on the building of the georgia aquarium and in the dvd it says the hammer heads are great hammer heads

You're right, now that I'm looking at the dorsal more, they are indeed great hammers at the GA Aquarium.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
How about some pix of the filtration system on the shark tank?

Dr Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store