Keeping Marine Hammerhead Shark in captivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADEE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
South East Coast, Fla
i would love to see some updates, what a cool place you have set up. Great job for the work your doing!! ((Claps))

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
Bumping this because I met Dean (Aquatop) yesterday. VERY cool dude. Has a small outfit here in the SF Bay Area - he had a half dozen blacktips and white tips there - plus a nice selection of eels, and his hammerheads are in Hawaii. VERY good prices too - thinking I'll be getting my BTRs from him.

capo larzo

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2009
New York
hey thats my pool in those first shots! i dont have 2000 lbs of live rock though
;)

capo larzo

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2009
New York
I forgot to say it. But Im glad someone has more than just a profit on their mind.

Jabba did he have anything for my pool? Respond to me in my thread or pm . Not trying to hijack this awesome thread

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
I gotta admit, it's sorely tempting to house a pair of hammerheads in a grow-out tank (the big tank that's in the works). He was telling me that most aquariums don't want young (read: small) hammerheads; they only want 6'+ sharks. Which in turn are much harder to catch.

So he sells pups to people with big pools/lagoons, and then in several years trades them out again for pups, and public aquariums take the larger specimens. According to his research, and seems to be backed up by a couple sources, they tend to grow fatter rather than longer in their first few years, with an average length growth of <5" per year.

And unlike some other companies (eg, sharksupply.com) he was quite forthcoming with his capture techniques, and which public aquariums he deals with (since verified). His website is a little confusing, but if you go to the bottom of his page, he has his pricelist and current stock.

Lastly, he had the sexiest green moray eel there - looked healthier than any eel I've ever seen in an LFS. About 4', great color, plenty aggressive, and no damage. Just thought I'd share that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store