Keyhole Cichlids

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
wow thats quick, well done.
Now comes the hard part of raising them lol, need to get my hands on some live small foods; and keep up the water changes!

I also cheated a bit, as the pair were established before; so made things a whole lot easier :)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
You just made me want keyholes, congratulations on the spawn pal!-)

Reactions: convict360

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Might even buy some tomorrow ha...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Wonder if I could get some opinions for the impending fry guys, specifically in terms of first foods.

I've got a culture of microworms on the go, that I plan to use; does anyone know if the keyhole fry will eat straight away or if they will work through a yolk sac first?

Also, I've got some interpet liquifry No1 on hand, which I haven't tried before, has anyone tried this or have any feedback regarding it? Pic attached below. Only reason I ask is that the liquifry is more convenient, especially with the microworm culture stinking to high heaven; but I'll do whats best by the fry, so if the microworm/yeast/oaty mixture is best, then so be it lol

liquifry no1.jpg

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Liquifry is a good first food although a little messy.Start feeding as soon as the fry become free swimming. After a week or so switch to a high quality crushed flake.As they start to grow a little you can introduce small meaty foods.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Liquifry is a good first food although a little messy.Start feeding as soon as the fry become free swimming. After a week or so switch to a high quality crushed flake.As they start to grow a little you can introduce small meaty foods.
thanks for the reply mate :)

I'll definitely need to be keeping on top of the water parameters, its only a 16 gallon volume of water (great footprint though); so basically whichever food is going to also be "cleaner" is definitely a plus.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Forgot to say,tetra prima crushed up fine is also good,most fish are eager to take it and it sinks.
I feed my fry a lot of crushed pellet and flake foods as a staple until they can take slightly bigger meaty foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store