King kong or not? male or female?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just a regular parrot, vent looks like female but I have never been great at venting fish.

Reactions: illbethejudge

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is my trio at 10 inches
Head & body shape on yours look more like a red devil/midas cross, than KKP. The problem is the entire hybrid line is very loosely defined, much like red texas. People breed whatever to whatever and come up with the same name. I have seen many hobbyists refer to a fish like the one in my pic as a red mammon, which it most definitely is not, even though it does turn to an almost red color (not orange) just before and shortly after spawning. She's very washed out from the flash of my $10 point & shoot camera in the photo above.

Personally I would not call those KKP, but that's just me.

The following link describes many of the differences between the parrot strains, and shows the differences between male & female vents. It looks like I got it right. lol

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...s-king-kong-parrots-and-kirin-parrots.491896/

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Head & body shape on yours look more like a red devil/midas cross, than KKP. The problem is the entire hybrid line is very loosely defined, much like red texas. People breed whatever to whatever and come up with the same name. I have seen many hobbyists refer to a fish like the one in my pic as a red mammon, which it most definitely is not, even though it does turn to an almost red color (not orange) just before and shortly after spawning. She's very washed out from the flash of my $10 point & shoot camera in the photo above.

The following link describes many of the differences between the parrot strains, and shows the differences between male & female vents. It looks like I got it right. lol

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...s-king-kong-parrots-and-kirin-parrots.491896/
Agree with RD here

Reactions: illbethejudge

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017

I also feel mine looks more like Midas or red devil

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store