KISS large sump filter design

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
reptileguy2727;5093247; said:
On a FW tank I would take a Fluval FX5 over the best designed sump any day. I just don't think you will get the same filtration.
:WHOA:

That's a bold statement.

Almost sig worthy.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
5280critters;5096383; said:
Freshwater drip is from an R/O unit or do you have a way to add dechlorinator some way as well? I agree that a continuous fresh water supply is the best just not sure how to accomplish that
Sorry, I have a well. I continue to forget that not everybody else does so I don't always clarify that. My water comes out of the ground and straight into the tank. I believe, but am not sure that the city water guys use carbon filters on their tank water. RO makes the water too pure and unstable. All the good minerals go out with the bad, even with the poor rejection rate the lowes/home depot models get.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
DB junkie;5096577; said:
:WHOA:

That's a bold statement.

Almost sig worthy.
Ya, I have to say that I have never seen a canister that would keep up to a sump. If your water isn't clear enough you just add a finer micron sock down stream. If your bio isn't enough you just add another bag of media. The thing that makes your water the clearest is the constant water change which you can very easily have because you drill an overflow in the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store